Sherwood vs cressi regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UltimateMonky

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking into getting a new 1st and 2nd state regulator from my local dive shop. He carries, and suggest both Sherwood and Cressi regulators, but I am not all that familiar with either, I've used only ScubaPro and Dacor in the past. I've read up on some articles about both, but I wanted your input as well. I'm looking at getting a blanced 1st and second stage, and the cost I would like to keep around 400 for each stage, no more if possible. I will mainly be doing rec. diving, wrecks, and a good deal of pond and river diving. Some photography too, so various swimming positions. Not usually more than 100ft deep. Thanks alot guys.

Will

I would take the sherwood any day. Cressi seems to have a problem with parts availability and being foreign they are not easy to come by if you are anywhere other than where you bought it. Sherwood has a solid rep throughout North America as being very widespread and easy to service. Next there is the reliability. Sherwood regs are used by many rental locations because they stand up to the use and will perform all year long. The one way bleeder valve will also keep the internals clear from silt when you are diving in the ponds etc. I would recommend sherwood regs toanyone in a second because of their reliability, value, price, warranty, and performance. Get a sherwood. I had by blizzard for 2 years without a single problem.

Will--

I'd add, however, that it may depend on where you live. Owning two Sherwoods, I can attest that finding Sherwood dealers for service can be a problem here in Europe... rather difficult to find in Germany, and almost impossible here in Poland.

Back in the States, noooo problem.

--Marek

UltimateMonky:
Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a blanced 1st and second stage, and the cost I would like to keep around 400 for each stage, no more if possible.
Will

$400 for each stage?! You can do almost any sherwood reg setup with an octo, and gauges for under $500 total! Depending on which one... maybe even with a computer!

scubatoys:
$400 for each stage?! You can do almost any sherwood reg setup with an octo, and gauges for under $500 total! Depending on which one... maybe even with a computer!

Sounds like a good deal, I haven't done alot of price checking, but I know that my last scuba pro set up was a little costly. I'm going to go back to my shop and see about any kind of deals he has for getting a complete set with BC and all. I was looking at a Cochran Commander as my computer as well. Yall have good luck with those?

Thanks alot for the replies - Looks like i'll go with Sherwood.

Will

UltimateMonky:
Sounds like a good deal, I haven't done alot of price checking, but I know that my last scuba pro set up was a little costly. I'm going to go back to my shop and see about any kind of deals he has for getting a complete set with BC and all. I was looking at a Cochran Commander as my computer as well. Yall have good luck with those?

Thanks alot for the replies - Looks like i'll go with Sherwood.

Will

I used to carry Cochran - it's great for me as they are right here in Dallas, but we had so many problems, we dropped the line. I never had problems with the commander, but in the short time we carried them, the problems with other models, and their customer service in responding to problems, convinced me to look to other brands, like the Nitek Duo / Tusa for dual gas, Aeris or Cressi or Genesis/Sherwood for single gas.

But you will probably get feedback from other users if the commander is ok.

If getting a BC at the same time, you should be able to get a good reg, octo, console with nitrox computer and BC for under $1000.00 in a package.

scubatoys:
I used to carry Cochran - it's great for me as they are right here in Dallas, but we had so many problems, we dropped the line. I never had problems with the commander, but in the short time we carried them, the problems with other models, and their customer service in responding to problems, convinced me to look to other brands, like the Nitek Duo / Tusa for dual gas, Aeris or Cressi or Genesis/Sherwood for single gas.

But you will probably get feedback from other users if the commander is ok.

If getting a BC at the same time, you should be able to get a good reg, octo, console with nitrox computer and BC for under $1000.00 in a package.

Would you mine sharing some of the problems with me? Just so I can know what to watch out for incase I get one? If you did have as many as you say, I might better not though. What would be a comprable Sherwood computer, I use air only for now, but I would like to get Nitrox certified eventually, so it would be nice if I could upgrade later on, rather than buy a whole new computer.

Will

UltimateMonky:
Would you mine sharing some of the problems with me? Just so I can know what to watch out for incase I get one? If you did have as many as you say, I might better not though. What would be a comprable Sherwood computer, I use air only for now, but I would like to get Nitrox certified eventually, so it would be nice if I could upgrade later on, rather than buy a whole new computer.

Will

We ran into a problem with a bunch of the hoseless computers that they would simply stop working in the middle of the dive. Just go blank. When I took one back to them that a customer had just bought, and experienced that in the pool, they told me they'd have to fix it... could not replace it. And he was leaving for a trip the next day. They also told me they could not give me a loaner. I decided it was a brand I didn't want to carry anymore - so we dropped the line.

Maybe they are a lot better now... this was a few years ago. Other members may be able to tell you if they have experienced recent problems. I really don't care if someone has an occasional problem. Every company does with some product sooner or later. The main thing that bothered me was the way they handled it. But that also may have changed. I just don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom