Sherwood SR-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Munro-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, this is my first post and very unsure of myself with diving equipment or diving for that matter.
I have recently found the "New" Sherwood SR-1 regulator for 50% off and looks to be a good reg, however I have read on this board and a few others that there are issues with this reg? My dive instructor had this particular reg and advised it was a good reg. However after reading all the issues online Im not sure. Can anyone advise if this reg is actually worth getting or avoiding?

Hi Monro;

I would not buy one. I've detailed why in other posts so I won't repeat myself here. Others may have differing opinions, but I think there are much better choices. SP MK17/G250V, aqualung titan LX are both perennial favorites at a semi-reasonable price.

Someone is bound to chime in telling you to get a HOG reg. I don't personally know much about them, but they are very popular on this board as a good value. The one caveat is that you should absolutely not buy a DIN reg if you will be primarily diving yoke tanks. So, whatever the standard tank valve configuration is in your part of the world, buy a reg to fit that.

Welcome to scubaboard!

The SR-1 uses a seat design that is at best problematic and it is very picky in terms of service, lubrication, etc. I avoid them.

50% off is basically the dealer trying to unload it at cost. That speaks volumes as well.

I had wondered the fact that if it was 50% off that this may be the case. I am struggling with costs vs regs and some of the brands that are discussed here in Australia. Mares/Apek/Aqualung/Cressi and Scubapro are the most prevalent. So back to the drawing board. Thanks for the info.

Look at what you can get serviced locally and regionally. Aqualung seems to have pretty good coverage in OZ and they're also affiliated with Apeks so parts/service for either should be more readily available. Aquanaut - Scuba

Hi Munro;

Welcome to scubaboard!

Thanks for that and thank you for the information. I am quite new to this as I have just completed my OW course. I dont really want to get too carried away with buying scuba gear as its one of those things Im not sure I will have time to do! But I hope to be able to. Most of the other gear appart from regs/BCD I will be able to use for other things(So the things I already own). HOG is not a brand I can get in australia.

I guess I might go back and take another look at the MK11/C300... Just not sure exactly what I will require as everyones opinion is different.

I guess I might go back and take another look at the MK11/C300... Just not sure exactly what I will require as everyones opinion is different.

The C300 is a new 2nd stage that I don't know much about but the MK11 is a fine 1st stage, almost identical to the MK17 except it is not environmentally sealed. The seal is only important if you dive in extremely cold water, usually low 40sF and colder.

I'm sure DA Aquamaster is very familiar with the C300. I do know it's an unbalanced 2nd stage (not important as the MK11 has very stable IP) with some geometry to the lever that is designed to improve performance. I suspect it's a perfectly acceptable 2nd stage for recreational diving. In fact, most regulators perform far better than is 'necessary' for recreational diving.

Don't rush into a purchase. Ask other divers and techs who work on regs. There are better choices.

Anecdotal at best, however.........

I have had an SR-1 for 4 years. Never had a single problem with it. I bought another reg set last year. I keep the SR-1 for a back up. I use the second stage as my AAS.

Read the issues in the manufacturers forums. What really turned me off was after sending it in twice was how incompetent tech service was. I was a Sherwood believer until this especially after they said they would refund me after the agreed with the problem. Still waiting for the check (+2 years!!). So they have product problems but worse support from both sales and technicians. you can do better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom