Sherwood Shadow + Inflator/octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpnick

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this model? I saw it on sale locally and it seemed ok, but... Is it worth $100? Or is there a better alternative in that price range?Thanks, ...N

I had a Shadow+. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I gave it what I thought to be a fair trial (about 50 dives) and found it to be very cumbersome when I reached for my inflator hose. Also, it was a terrible breather even by Sherwood standards. I hope the person who bought it on ebay likes it better than I did.

That certainly seems to be a very fair trial to me too! I shall save my $ and keep researching. Thank you for sharing your opinion and saving me from myself... ...N

what BC do you have?
if your looking to try to "trim" down some of the hoses i know some other companys make inflatercombos that are better... allsow a little more money...

One of the advantages of the Shadow is you can disconnect the inflation hose to your BC and not lose your alternate air source. With the Air II style alternates once disconnected (due to a slow leak into the BC) you have disconnected your alternate air source so must end your dive.

With the Shadow you still have your alternate air source and can orally inflate your BC so may continue diving. If properly tuned it breaths fair but it is for emergencies. I use identical second stages as primary and alternate when I may have to use them for any period of time, as in a wreck penetration.

Safety wise it is one of the best of its class of alternative air sources.

fishfood, I have a Mares Vector Origin 1000 bc, but I thought they were all pretty standard as far as the inflator goes. Not so? ...N

GOOD GOD NOOOOOOOO!!!!
The worst product put out by an otherwise good company the Shadow is definetely one of the more primitive octo-inflators. If you are looking at Sherwood take a look at the magnum style standard octo. The shadow will hold together and is reliable but like I said, it just breathes like crap due to poor aerodynamics. The difference in the hoses is just that there is a different connection for octo-inflators than there is for inflators. See the thread about the octo-inflators and decide for yourself. The general concensus is no....

But to answer your question, no they are not worth the hundred bucks and that is likely why they are blowing them off.

I have no loyalty to a specific brand, I just saw the ad. Which is why I post and read here... to get the straight dope! I've learned time and again over the years that a bit of investigation saves time, money, and heartache by preventing a purchase of lousy equipment for any purpose. ...N

rpnick:
I have no loyalty to a specific brand, I just saw the ad. Which is why I post and read here... to get the straight dope! I've learned time and again over the years that a bit of investigation saves time, money, and heartache by preventing a purchase of lousy equipment for any purpose. ...N

amen. Especially if you are one of the unfortunate ones faced with a shop that will BS you so they can get rid of dead stock.

I dived the Shadow + for several years and found it to be, as others have said, one of the most usless pieces of equipment I ever spent my hard earned money on. My reasoning is that the hose is just to short to be usefull in a real emergency. I wore this configuration while I was teaching and had the oppertunity to use it when doing the OOA training. Switching to the Shadow+ while donating the primary regulator to an OOA diver is a real PITA. It's very difficult to turn your head to the right to see the other diver because of the length of the inflator hose and that's something that I felt was important to be able to do in a real emergency. I switched to the long hose and wearing a backup reg around me neck. That way I can donate the primary reg and have 7 feet between myself and the OOA diver and not have to search for my backup reg as it's always right under my chin.

Just my 2 bubbles worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom