Sherwood regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got off the phone with my dealer and instructor who sold me mine.
It is called a dry bleed system. and I think others have now mentioned it. He told me that Genesis has now come up with the same dry bleed system. But Sherwoods have the mositure rentention fins that the others don't. I believe in them personally.
The dry bleed system keeps garbage out fo your first stage and helps them to last forever.(being relative here, because nothing last forever)

I understand the positive attributes of the dry bleed system, but having rented almost exclusively Sherwood regulators (no more soon though!), it still really bothers me. I suppose it's silly to ignore a favorable feature due to being irritated by the sound and bubble stream, and yet...

Ishie

jpraederjr:
I got some help on buying a new regulator. Thanks
My LDS has good prices on Sherwood regs. No one has said anything about them in there responses. I am considering the
Oasis.

Sherwood makes a really good regulator. I used them when I was in the Navy, in all kinds of conditions, and never had a problem.

I personally own a Magnum and a Oasis. Both are 9 years old, and have always worked great.

There is only one problem with using a Sherwood regulator. If you are diving with someone who is unaware of the Sherwood dry-bleed system, they will probably think that you have a leak in your first stage. As a DM, whenever I am working with students, I am either being tapped on the shoulder, or someone will point to my first stage to let me know that I have a leak. But at least you know that people are being observant.

I would continue to support the sherwood. MY LDS uses them all in rental. From Magnum to Brut to Maximus to Blizzard. I don't know why the stream would make a diver nuts. Sounds kinda silly. The bubble stream is so tiny you can barely see it. It is even a good indication when there is something wrong (if it isn't working) But they are also easy and common to service. I would recommend staying away from all of their flat-style octos and stick with the magnum style. it is probably best. The sherwood will kepp going long after you were supposed to service it. great reliable regs. the Oasis is nice in that it has the moisture rentantion fins that keep you moist. Some notice it more than others. I know that I missed it when I traded my sherwood in.

matt_unique:
I use a Maximus as my second primary. These things are tanks and I have never had a freezing problem with them on the surface or at depth. I use a Brut on stage bottles and it has also been very reliable.

My first primary is a Scuba Pro MK25/G250HP and I know if this reg freezes my Maximus will not. I prefer to have these different 1st stage designs on my doubles for this reason.

--Matt
Matt,

If you use a dry bleed design first stage on stage bottles, do you follow the practice of opening the tank valve, pressurizing the reg, then shutting the tank valve again until it's time to switch to breathing from the stage bottle? If you do, does this provide enough gas inside the first stage to keep the dry bleed going until you open the tank valve again?

I did this same practice with my Sherwood Maximus (first reg I had), but then got to thinking since then that this might not be the wisest thing to do on stage bottles with this design first stage. I don't remember seeing the stream of bubbles just before I went to turn on the stage bottle tank valve again. I won't use my old Sherwood again until after I have it serviced - been using my Scubapro regs instead. The difference in "dry breathing" or "wet breathing" depending on your perspective is remarkable. I'd like to find a happy medium between these extremes for second stages.

WarmWaterDiver:
Matt,

If you use a dry bleed design first stage on stage bottles, do you follow the practice of opening the tank valve, pressurizing the reg, then shutting the tank valve again until it's time to switch to breathing from the stage bottle? If you do, does this provide enough gas inside the first stage to keep the dry bleed going until you open the tank valve again?

I did this same practice with my Sherwood Maximus (first reg I had), but then got to thinking since then that this might not be the wisest thing to do on stage bottles with this design first stage. I don't remember seeing the stream of bubbles just before I went to turn on the stage bottle tank valve again. I won't use my old Sherwood again until after I have it serviced - been using my Scubapro regs instead. The difference in "dry breathing" or "wet breathing" depending on your perspective is remarkable. I'd like to find a happy medium between these extremes for second stages.

With Sherwood regs you must keep the gas on for the entire dive. The dry bleed would not allow sufficient pressure in the first stage to keep water out otherwise. My stage bottles are slung so I would see bubbles if there were a problem. The gas loss from the dry bleed is negligible.

--Matt

Once pressurized, the flow rate is so small that the gas inside the tank valve body downstream of the tank valve seat and inside the first stage should provide gas for the dry bleed for some period of time. The dry bleed flow doesn't stop immediately when the tank valve is turned off - whether on a stage bottle or back gas bottle - but it probably doesn't last a half hour either. I don't plan on using my Sherwood in this manner again - I'll leave the stage bottle valve open the whole time. Thanks for the answer.

I like the Sherwood Regs. I purchased a Blizzard myself after using them as rentals down south, great reg, no complaints.

I say no. The bleeder on a sherwood first stage is specifically identified as a one way bleeder valve. This means that whether or not the reg is pressurized, there will not be any bubbles entering the reg. I know guys that use both practices of leaving the bottle off and on, and a sherwood reg should not make that decision.
Don't believe me? http://www.sherwoodscuba.com/regulators.html scroll a little down.

Good point, Rescue - I didn't read far enough in to realize it also incorporates a check valve in the design. This makes more sense - otherwise the first stage would need to be pressurized whenever you rinsed it to maintain the "dry" section as dry.

Obviously I need more vacation time . . . now if I can just convince the Boss of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom