Sherwood regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpraederjr

Registered
Reaction score
I got some help on buying a new regulator. Thanks
My LDS has good prices on Sherwood regs. No one has said anything about them in there responses. I am considering the
Oasis.

mu hubby has an oasis and has for years and loves it but I prefer the Maximus.

They are both Sherwood and work great. In my opnion Sherwood are the best regs made.
I have tried about 10 different ones and those are my favs.

Sincerely
Bridget

I've used lots of rental Sherwoods, and a lot of my buddies use Sherwoods.

The air constantly leaking out of the first stage drives me freaking nuts, and that's enough reason for me not to buy one. As for the Oasis, as long as you're not going deep or diving cold water, it'll work fine.

I have the Sherwood Blizzard. Great reg: breathes dry, breathes easy, and if you're diving in cold water, it's environmentally sealed by way of the bleed valve in the first stage. And, it has a great exhaust tee: minimal bubble interference (for me, I found it to be near zero interference).

Plus it's easy and inexpensive to service.

I highly recommend it.

Though I don't use one, Sherwoods are great, simple, and reliable regs (don't know about the cold water aspects).

jonnythan:
I've used lots of rental Sherwoods, and a lot of my buddies use Sherwoods.

The air constantly leaking out of the first stage drives me freaking nuts, and that's enough reason for me not to buy one. As for the Oasis, as long as you're not going deep or diving cold water, it'll work fine.
Sherwoods are the only reg(at least i was told) that have the first stage leak but it is that leak that makes them so unique because it serves a very special purpose.
There is feature that causes that. It is to keep water out of the first stage. Sherwood last a long time becuase of it. there is a special plug on the first stage and the first stage keeps postive pressure insde to keep water from entering the first stage. I just called the 5 people who are LDS operators/owners and and instructors that recommended mine to me and I will post the very specific reasons in a bit.
The air you lose from that tiny tiny stream of bubbles is only small that it would be less than taking one breath over the entire dive or even less. I have never had a problem with it ever and also it tells me where my husband is. I can see that tiny stream if he is in front of me and in a group of people all the same sizes and wearing the same stuff I can pick him out easier.

and the sherwood first stages are very simple. when my nephew floods my reg playing in the pool, it's easy for me to open it, dry it out, clean and lube the o-rings, and reassemble. a week of saltwater diving with only moderate rinsing left no visible wear or crud in the reg. i've also taken mine ice diving and in cold (34F) water down to 120, with no problems.

i would recommend getting a sherwood octo with the blizzard, rather than the sko octo. it's nice to have both second stages the same.

I dive the Maximus, my daughter dives the brut. The stream of air is the dry bleed system that beachdivequeenbelam was talking about. It is what keeps contaminates out of the 1st stage when you dive in harsh conditions (I dive in the Ohio River). I also own Scubapro, Tusa, Mares and even have a Dacor or two in the garage (to keep the mice out:))

I love my Sherwood and would recomend them highly to anyone.

I have a sherwood oasis that will be 10 years old in December. It's bulletproof. My wife got certified last year and I bought her the newest oasis. Bulletproof. Lot's of rental shops use sherwood because they're dry inside and last forever. I'll admit there are easier breathing regs, but mine breathes better than most Dacors I've seen and worked fine at 120'. A lot to be said about a dry piston...minimal risk of corrosion inside, and hardly any parts in the first stage. The fewer parts, the less stuff there is to replace/break.

jpraederjr:
I got some help on buying a new regulator. Thanks
My LDS has good prices on Sherwood regs. No one has said anything about them in there responses. I am considering the
Oasis.

I use a Maximus as my second primary. These things are tanks and I have never had a freezing problem with them on the surface or at depth. I use a Brut on stage bottles and it has also been very reliable.

My first primary is a Scuba Pro MK25/G250HP and I know if this reg freezes my Maximus will not. I prefer to have these different 1st stage designs on my doubles for this reason.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom