sherwood regs.... which one ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i like sherwood regs, i have found a few different models
which one, mostly for warm water diving although i'l be getting into diving here in the UK in cooler water
blizzard
magnum
maximus
oasis

more than one type get's me not knowing which one to go for
can anyone offer a sugestion

i'm thinking the blizzard, cos it makes me think it'll be OK in cooler water, an it must be OK in warmer waters

If you're going to be using it in the UK then I'd lean toward the Blizzard or the Maximus.

I think they use the same first stage and the second stages are also very similar in size and shape. The Maximus has a venturi switch and a cracking adjuster that you'll want if you take it very deep. In terms of overall performance I find the Maximus a little stiff as compared to the top of the line Aqualungs (my other regs) but in terms of reliability Sherwood is hard to beat.

R..

The maximus ($375) is the oasis ($299) and blizzard ($299) combine, you get the best of both worlds. For cold water go with the blizzard it has heat retention fins (so it won't freeze), for warm water go with the oasis it has moisture retention fins (for dry mouth). To save some money go with the magnum ($225) it breathes well, is bulletproof, and should do well in both warm and cold water (above 45 degrees F). All these regs will perform well in warm water and cold water above 45 degrees F.

rubbachicken:
which one, mostly for warm water diving although i'l be getting into diving here in the UK in cooler water
blizzard
magnum
maximus
oasis

more than one type get's me not knowing which one to go for
can anyone offer a sugestion

i'm thinking the blizzard, cos it makes me think it'll be OK in cooler water, an it must be OK in warmer waters

Sherwoods are not high performance regs in terms of best air delivered at depth with the least amount of effort. They are tanks though. I would go for the Maximus to get the best Sherwood has to offer for all environments. I use the Max as my 2nd primary, Scuba Pro MK25/G250 HP has my 1st primary, and a Sherwood Brut on my stage bottle. If my SP freezes, I know my Max will not be frozen. I have never had a freezing or free flow in any of my Sherwood regs at any water/air temps including 39 degree water and below freezing air temps (20's). Even breaking all the proper protocols to avoid freezing my Sherwood's have never frozen.

--Matt

rubbachicken:
blizzard
magnum
maximus
oasis

Believe it or not, this question has been asked before. If you do a search on this subject you'll find the info you were looking for with less work. :wink:

Bonne chance,

I think the only definite thing most people here would agree on is to stay away from the Brut.

cheers

Billy S.

matt_unique:
I use the Brut on my stage bottles but I would not use it as a first primary. Works fine, never freezes, etc.

--Matt
Breathing it is like trying to suck eggs through a garden hose past 85 feet or so. I almost felt bad selling mine to some guy in south Florida.. but he was paying $100 for a full reg set on eBay, so he gets what he deserves :eyebrow:

jonnythan:
Breathing it is like trying to suck eggs through a garden hose past 85 feet or so. I almost felt bad selling mine to some guy in south Florida.. but he was paying $100 for a full reg set on eBay, so he gets what he deserves :eyebrow:

It's definitely not a top breather. Most of my entry level tech dives have a first deco stop at around 80' max so it works. I'm sure I'll get other regs when I start going deeper.

There is something to be said for simple and reliable though. I have never even heard of a freeze up with these things. Before I knew better I used to breath off these things in 18 degree air temps then descend into 39 degree water temps and they would still not freeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom