Sherwood/Oceanic gauge boot question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got certified back in 1978 and dove for 20 years but have been on a 10 year hiatus since 2000. Will be doing the refresher course in the near future. In the mean time, I'm trying to use what I have that still works and buy new or gently used what I may need. Just had my old Scuba pro regs serviced and they are good. Mk 5 and R109/108. Had my Sherwood Source computer serviced by PSI Industries and it is fine. My question is what gauge console boots will the old Source computer work with. I guess Sherwood has gone to a low profile/compact design that will not work with the older computers and SPG gauges. I'm pretty sure the Source was made by Oceanic and probably some of their boots will work but which ones? I would like to upgrade my SPG to a newer model but keep the Source together in a console boot that was made for such a setup and not rig them together like I have them now. A compass would be nice as well. This is stuff that can be reasonably had on e bay if I only knew what to look for. I'm hoping some of you guys that have more current gear experience "that would be pretty much everybody" might be able to clue me in on what I need to be looking for.

Looking at it I would have to say that it is the same computer housing as the Veo series from Oceanic. Get with an Oceanic/Aeris dealer and tell them you want a "Max Depth Console Boot" like this :
Aeris Max-Depth Console with Compass

or a Sherwood dealer and get this boot:
Sherwood CG3206 Navigational Console

They can order just the boot. Do not let them tell you different. Oceanic makes what they call a Navcon but it is the swivel model and frankly is damn near useless for navigating as you need to keep rotating the compass to see the depth gauge or computer and the compass at the same time. The Wisdom is the same profile as most analog depth gauges and was designed to replace them. Hence the boot will work with either. You could buy either of the consoles I linked complete and just swap out your comp for the gauge. You;d then have a new spg and compass. I prefer wrist mount myself but if you want to go console IMO these are your best choices. When navigating you can monitor depth and heading at the same time. Two critical pieces of info when performing a nav skill dive or any dive for that matter.

I agree that having to swivel the rig is a bad setup. I've seen some Navcon's with the computer on the same side as the compass and that is the way I prefer to go. Wrist mounting is an interesting "and inexpensive" option though. I'll have to consider that. Thanks for your information. At this point in my "comeback" everything helps as there is so much more and different products to choose from as compared to 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I have some back issues that may prevent me from diving at all but gotta give it a try anyway. If I can't dive then there isn't any point in breaking the bank on new gear. I've Been to a couple LDS but they make me feel that if you ain't buying $2000 worth of new gear they're gonna call the cops on you for loitering?

Those are the ones to stay away from. Keep looking. There are many places that treat the guy who just comes in to buy a boltsnap or finstrap the same as someone who drops 3 grand on a full set up. They know that every sale is important and at the same time don't try to lift your wallet. It's why I have a whole chapter on interviewing the shop as well as the instructor.

I didn't mean to suggest that all LDS's are the same. From experience I know that there are some really quality dive shops and owners that are committed to their sport and industry. I try not to be too quick to judge either because as a small business owner in the past, I'm aware of the pressures of making a business work. Aside from all the fun and play, it still is a business and will only be as successful as the owner chooses to make it. In these economic times it's gotta be brutal. That's way I prefer to buy locally when purchasing stuff new as long as they aren't too far off base with their pricing.

Back
Top Bottom