Sherwood / Mares Reg combo ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MR12111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Trying to figure how to put together a reg. to perhaps try to pick up Scuba again .. Worked in "the business" from the early 80's to mid 90's when I lost interest .. In the end I was a boat captain and instructor who had had enough of diving .. Started as a Reg tech as I came from the Auto mechanic profession ..regs aren't any harder than carbs. ..i have done a ton of Hydrostats in my life to etc etc ...
Sorry just wanted to set the period for the reg I used and would like to have again ... I loved the Mares mr12 breathes great ..you can easily "sip" air ... Tried others ..Worked in Scubapro shops ...tried them ..went back to my mr12 ..scubapro and others breathe easy and natural but I wanted that vortex assist ... The 1 problem was the 2nd stages ..blowing seats .. I dove a LOT in the beginning I was a Divemaster for Franks Dive Shop ..Rivera beach FL .. We ran lots of trips .. anyhow it seemed the seat would blow every month or so .. bad news when your working and supposto dive and carry the float ball .. Took a "spare" with me often .... Untill ...
I founld this Sherwood 1st stage laying around from an "Ultima" that one that looked like a Posiden .. I has a dedicated Hi Flow port ..Dry bleed and a Piston that "Rarely" ever leaks .. That's the reg I used till I stopped diving ..It's gone now and I have been looking for what I could build to replace it ..
Sorry this is so long ...Thinking a Mares Metal 2nd stage like a Voltrex etc with the bigger exhaust valve and maybe that external adjustment port .. The first stage is the problem ...what to get ...when did Sherwood stop the dry bleed regs ? looks like they are going with a piston one now like scubapro ? What parts are available for the "older" sherwood regs ? I have looked but it's not clear ... This would be my dream 1st stage ..Where would you get Parts ? Piston .. Movable orfice .. etc ? Sherwood Ultima, Read all details, First Stage , Perfect | eBay

Sherwood freak here.
The Ultima Sherwood 2nd was in fact a Poseidon regulator. Viewed by some to be an unholy alliance.
The 1st was a SRB 3800. The Sherwood filtered piston has been made obsolete. There's a metric s*&t tonne available online fleabay etc. Most Sherwood 1st parts of this era interchange.
Their SRB 2100 has the same piston and has a unique IP adjustment by adjusting the cup and using a set screw to lock it in place. Or, you could just shim it if it is another model to manipulate IP.
NESS is a good source for Sherwood parts, as well as ebay.
Get a 5700 paired with Poseidon Jetstream. That's what I use and swear by. Its crazy easy to work on (1st stage) albeit a bit long. Get a DIN conversion you are g2g.

Sherwood freak here.
The Ultima Sherwood 2nd was in fact a Poseidon regulator. Viewed by some to be an unholy alliance.
The 1st was a SRB 3800. The Sherwood filtered piston has been made obsolete. There's a metric s*&t tonne available online fleabay etc. Most Sherwood 1st parts of this era interchange.
Their SRB 2100 has the same piston and has a unique IP adjustment by adjusting the cup and using a set screw to lock it in place. Or, you could just shim it if it is another model to manipulate IP.
Get a 5700 paired with Poseidon Jetstream. That's what I use and swear by. Its crazy easy to work on (1st stage) albeit a bit long. Get a DIN conversion you are g2g.

Hello ... Thanks for the reply .. Sorry it was so long ago ..Just got out all the "parts" to see what I could come up with .. Still have a MR12-3 second stage that's not corroded looks good also have a MK20 scubapro first stage from a G250 I had (and didn't like) I'm thinking of using the MK20 with the MR12 second stage .. I really liked that sherwood first stage ..but ..I literally wore it out the insides were worn pretty bad ..still worked when I "retired" it ... Thanks for all the model #'s ..will make it easier to look for ... my health has improved the scuba business burn out has almost subsided ..Thinking back in the water in 2023 ..I live in Jupiter Fl ..can be some pretty good diving here

Sherwood freak here.
Amazing ..I had a 3200 series first stage laying around ..and a few spare parts ..did a few/bunch of stuff you shouldn't do and it seems to be working great .. "Flipped the seat" on the piston "crimped type piston" never thought it would seal .. used a couple of orings I had laying around ..scraped green crud from the bleed orifice on the piston ..and the dry bleed works ..ha .. Reg locked at 120 lbs I added 3 shims I had ..now it's 145 lbs ..left it on a tank for hours and cycled it 100's of times ..amazing ..not sure I really trust it thou ..perhaps I will look for some new parts ..My MK20 scubapro on the other hand didn't go so well .. It's all apart now ..pretty corroded gooey mess ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom