sherwood magnum pro vs HOG D1 vs Anything else you care to recommend.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

I already own a primary regset (tusa RS1001) and I'm generally happy with it, since I got it for a very good price at my LDS and thus far it has served me fine. However, at some point I want to buy a second regset for redundant air supply and just to have as a backup. I'm aiming to spend less than $350 for a first and second stage, but could stretch that to $400 if suitably persuaded, and I would like a DIN reg, since my primary set is a yoke and I want to have the option of using this one on HP cylinders. Beyond that, my musts are that it should be balanced, if it's a piston I'd like environmental sealing, and I want it to be serviceable at a dive shop (so Sea Elite, for example, is out because they can only be serviced by Divers Supply).

I'm not planning to buy another RS 1001 for several reasons. For one, it's not actually that cheap to buy just the first and second. I got my current set as part of a package deal specific to my LDS, and paid slightly more for the first stage, two second stages, and a three gauge console than the sticker price for a first and second stage online. Additionally, I'd like different second stages to avoid potential mix-ups, for safety reasons.

Currently, I'm considering two options: The sherwood magnum pro (currently $350 on divers supply and scuba.com) or the Hog D1x (same cost). The Hog has the advantage of being serviced at the same dive shop as my tusa set, while the sherwood shop is on the other side of town. The hog is a diaphram, while the sherwood is a piston. Both have flow adjustment and environmental sealing. I'm not sure if piston vs diaphram matters if both are environmentally sealed. I would probably buy the hog on convenience, but for two concerns: first, I'm not sure how easily I could get the hog serviced if I were in another location, whereas sherwood service dealers seem fairly widespread, and second, I've had people warn me against buying hog (but both of those people were diveshop owners who sold brands other than hog, so take that with a grain of salt).

Ultimately, I won't be buying anything until closer to the end of the year, so I've got plenty of time to make up my mind, but I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts. I'm definitely open to other regs beyond those I've mentioned above, but subject to pricing and service availability (so no $1200 scubapro sets, nothing I can't get serviced at a LDS). I'd also love to hear people's thoughts on piston vs diaphram, and if anyone thinks I'm wrong about piston's needing environmental sealing, please speak up. I heard that unsealed pistons were a bad idea, but once again, that was from a dive shop owner who sold diaphram regs, so who knows what his angle is.

I had not considered the number/positioning of ports. Good point in favor of thehog

Let's be honest, if you are somewhere on a trip, I'd seriously doubt that you could just walk in with your regs (even a brand they carry), and expect them to have you back diving with any speed. If they can, I can't imaging the bill. You either have spares, or rent to keep diving, and get it fixed wen you are back home (excludes some epic long term trip, but you'd likely rent while it is being repaired)....

I have a few sets of HOG regs, and they have served my family well. I have switched from pistons to diaphragm regs almost completely.

Let's be honest, if you are somewhere on a trip, I'd seriously doubt that you could just walk in with your regs (even a brand they carry), and expect them to have you back diving with any speed. If they can, I can't imaging the bill. You either have spares, or rent to keep diving, and get it fixed wen you are back home (excludes some epic long term trip, but you'd likely rent while it is being repaired)....

I have a few sets of HOG regs, and they have served my family well. I have switched from pistons to diaphragm regs almost completely.
To be honest, I meant just within my state for regular service. There’s significantly fewer Hog dealers in my state than Sherwood. If my local HOG dealer closed down, I’d be driving a much longer distance to the next nearest one than to the next nearest sherwood dealer. Similarly if I moved within the state, same story. It’s probably overthinking though

and I would like a DIN reg, since my primary set is a yoke and I want to have the option of using this one on HP cylinders.
Also, you realize yoke is rated for use on 3442 psi cylinders? I'm not even sure anyone makes 3500 psi cylinders anymore. Those surpassed the capability of yoke.. Yes, cave filling 3442 cylinders can surpass the ability of yoke connections, but the common reason for DIN is a captured o-ring having a less likely failure mechanism... Tech and cavers are the exception where overfilled play a common occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom