Sherwood... Genesis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livestodive

Contributor
Reaction score
I am prefacing this thread by stating that this is my opinion , with that said here goes.

I went to a scuba show in Boston Ma. on Sun 03, 2002. It is called the Sea Rovers or put on by the Sea Rovers. There were quite a few manufactures reps there. One of those reps were from Genesis Sherwood.

My family has bought both brands, they are offered at our LDS. I myself have a recon with 22 dives on it. 18 of those in Bonaire in Jan 02 or it would have been brand new with 4 dives on it at the time of the show. While looking at the BC's hanging in the mfg's booth, I noticed that the recon has a new weight integration system using a buckle retainer instead of the velcro used in prior models. I have seen 2 weight pouches come out causing an uncontroled ascent in just my first year of diving. I liked what I saw and asked the rep if I would be able to purchass the buckles and set mine up that way. I was told no. I then asked if I could buy the whole cumberbun and add it to my existing bc. I was told no, because there was now a 3rd bolt used in the cumberbun and that my "old recon" only had two bolts. Keep in mind now that this "old bc" is less than 4 months old. I expressed my concerns to the rep saying that I felt as though they had left me as a valued customer in the lurch so to say. The reply I got was to "sell my old one, and buy a new one". I explained that what he was calling old was really new. The rep then said "we thought about that and didn't let out that we were going this way so old inventory would sell". I thought about that statement and replied that he just made up my mind for me, my next would be a backplate and wing. He didn't understand my thought process.

In my opinion what the manufacturer did here was see a flaw in the velcro system and found a way to make a better system. However IMHO the manufacturer would rather you dive with what I percieve as a flawed or less than desired system, or buy a new bc, even when it would have with a slight modification been able to apply this new process to at least the recon bc.

On mon 04 2002 I went to both the Sherwood, and Genesis web sites and tried to reach support. I wanted to put my displeasure down in writing. Guess what.... at both sites the support link doesn't work. I guess that I should have known before I even tried, because I was shown what support was offered at the show.

I am posting this thread because I believe that this is where we as scuba enthusiasts can go to express our experiences for other divers. Hopefully the posts on this board can keep other divers from making mistakes, or can give insight to what does work. If you are looking to buy your first bc, or are going to replace an old one please apply what I have learned here. You never know what an impact just one little voice can have in certain situations.

Moderators if this could cause another Diverlink vs PADI problem please pull the post. I have no legal training, and no need of that kind of problem.

just my pennys worth

Genesis and Sherwood are both distributed by Cramer and Decker. As a dealer I have lots of stories that I prpbably shouldn't tell here. What I will say is that we have almost completly phased out their products. IMO, BP/wing is the best. If you must use a BC I would recomend the Zeagle. Zeagle makes quality products and they are a pleasure to do business with.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I just purchased a Sherwood Freedom. Any pro's or con's that you can share? I can always send it back.

The thing I don't like about the Zeagle is airtrapping. I figured out how to release it but it seems like a challenge. Probably user error.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

:confused:

I really didn't have any either way because I haven't used it all that much. However my wife was one of those who lost a pouch and assended uncontrolably. when we tried to order another we had to accept that they don't make the replacements quite the same as the originals. (smaller velcro strips)

We have gotten no support from them period. We will not support them in the future. What was said to me at that show really shed a light on their bottom line. I didn't ask for a free change over, I was willing to pay for the entire cumberbun system. I just wanted to be a little safer. My safety was not their concern at all. Leaves some food for thought eh?

Back
Top Bottom