Question Returning to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all!! I am making a return to diving this year after almost a 20 year break. Besides the usual refresher classes, getting the regs rebuilt, tanks hydo'd etc, I had to throw out my old BC. Genesis Recon 75 - I loved that BC, however mice, dry rot & time had other plans. Any suggestions on what's out there now that is comparable? I had 200 +- dives and was comfortable in the water, rescue cert'd.

Thanks!

Hey all!! I am making a return to diving this year after almost a 20 year break. Besides the usual refresher classes, getting the regs rebuilt, tanks hydo'd etc, I had to throw out my old BC. Genesis Recon 75 - I loved that BC, however mice, dry rot & time had other plans. Any suggestions on what's out there now that is comparable? I had 200 +- dives and was comfortable in the water, rescue cert'd.

Thanks!
being up in Taxachusetts, if you're diving locally I would strongly recommend looking at the @DiveGearExpress backplate and wing setup with the stainless steel backplate. You'll be much more comfortable and will be able to shed about 8lbs of lead compared to the Genesis Recon.

Oh dear, you are going to be 'bombarded' with backplates and wings, they are good, and I own 2 of them.
Though if they are not right for you a decent back inflate BC will do the job well, and there are a few good ones, and I own one of those which suits me just as well, and great for travel.
Do your research
I am sure it is the same over there as here, the local dive shops will have a wall full of jacket style BC they will try to flog you.
The only time I use a jacket BC now is when I do a hull clean, and that is a basic old style Scubapro jacket BC, most jacket BC are a 'throw away' if something goes wrong, I will not mention brands, my advice, think twice before you even think about a jacket BC.
Better options out there now than 20 years ago.

1. Backplate and wing.
2. A good Back inflate BC.

Back
Top Bottom