Sherwood Freedom BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are weighted correctly you should have very little air in the bladder. The hole is low on the BC so even if the hole is open there will be enough air in the shoulder region to get you to the surface. If you are significantly over weighted maybe not. In that case best to drop some weight; preferably before the dive. If you reduce too much and you are a little too buoyant near the end of your dive, grab a few small rocks and put them in your pockets. Small rocks will do just fine; about 3" X 5". I did this last week. It works great. Not being over weighted makes buoyancy control so much easier.
Bill

OK-- There seems to be some confusion regarding this BCD--at least on my part. I just picked up one of these-great shape-hardly if ever used. Seriel number (23640096). The only gromet I can see is the one on the right sholder strap above the D-rings. It appears this gromet is just for attaching something to the strap-it is open on the backside and does not connect to any bladder that I can see. I have not located any other co2 valve under any pockets on this unit. either this particular unit does not have one or I have missed it somehow. Can someone please help me locate the co2 valve being described above?--Thanks Ken

PS- This unit is also missing the Power Inflator. Does anyone know where I can find one that will work? The top of the inflator hose has a dump valve with a
thin metal pull line that travels down inside the inflator tube and thru the power inflator to a knob. I'm not sure a standard power inflator will work. May have to buy an entire power inflator assembly. Hope not.--Thanks

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:49 PM ----------

OK--My old BCD had an elbow connection at the top of the power inflator. This one has the pull dump valve connected to the power inflator via a cable. Looks like a standard power inflator will work. Still confused about the location of the CO2 valve.

Last edited:
Sorry- Still can't find it- This Sherwood Freedom is a back inflated BCD with two integrated weight pouches on each hip-a small narrow pocket to the side of each weight pouch and a center pouch in the middle stomach area. There are no other pockets along the straps. The only other pockets are on each side toward the back for permanent weights. I wonder if there were different models of the Sherwood Freedom?

Read my earlier post...Sherwood ran out their stock of these bladders using a plug...then changed to a non CO2 type bladder.
Sorry- Still can't find it- This Sherwood Freedom is a back inflated BCD with two integrated weight pouches on each hip-a small narrow pocket to the side of each weight pouch and a center pouch in the middle stomach area. There are no other pockets along the straps. The only other pockets are on each side toward the back for permanent weights. I wonder if there were different models of the Sherwood Freedom?

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:30 PM ----------

I already said that...he left his in.Mine is gone...never to return.
It is best if you remove the valve and use a tire seal with aquaseal. That way there is no chance of hitting it or snagging it and cause the bc to leak. That big of a hole can ruin a good dive trip.

---------- Post Merged at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:30 PM ----------

You can get good deals on new power inflators on e-bay. I just bought a new zeagle for $36. That cable with the loop on the end connects to a cylindrical bar in the power inflator...it's a dead man's line so as not to lose the power inflator if it gets snagged,and the high pressure hose pops off. It doesn't activate a valve...at least not on mine.
OK-- There seems to be some confusion regarding this BCD--at least on my part. I just picked up one of these-great shape-hardly if ever used. Seriel number (23640096). The only gromet I can see is the one on the right sholder strap above the D-rings. It appears this gromet is just for attaching something to the strap-it is open on the backside and does not connect to any bladder that I can see. I have not located any other co2 valve under any pockets on this unit. either this particular unit does not have one or I have missed it somehow. Can someone please help me locate the co2 valve being described above?--Thanks Ken

PS- This unit is also missing the Power Inflator. Does anyone know where I can find one that will work? The top of the inflator hose has a dump valve with a
thin metal pull line that travels down inside the inflator tube and thru the power inflator to a knob. I'm not sure a standard power inflator will work. May have to buy an entire power inflator assembly. Hope not.--Thanks

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:49 PM ----------

OK--My old BCD had an elbow connection at the top of the power inflator. This one has the pull dump valve connected to the power inflator via a cable. Looks like a standard power inflator will work. Still confused about the location of the CO2 valve.

"...it's a dead man's line so as not to lose the power inflator if it gets snagged,and the high pressure hose pops off. It doesn't activate a valve...at least not on mine."

This statement is not correct.After looking at all the data available on several sites,and looking closely at my BC's and others...it seems the cable does activate a dump valve in the power inflator hose. I apologize for posting information that was incorrect.

I love my Freedom BC except I wish it had the CQR3 style weight clips. I would love to see this exact same BC (2 tank bands, & padded back support) back on the market with the new CQR3 style weight clips. While I am at it I would also like to have a built-in heavy duty pocket on the back to hold a 6 cu ft Pony Bottle.

Back
Top Bottom