Sherwood Brut Octo Free Flow Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukemac77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just wanted to get you opinion on how to deal with an octo issue.

I recently bought a new Sherwood Brut Octo and while it works fine, it seems very prone to free flow underwater. Every time I spun around or even tapped it underwater, it would free flow uncontrollably. Granted, this was most prevalent when the octo mouthpiece was facing up and I could easily stop it from flowing by turning it down.

Although I do realize and understand why the octo free flows easier when the mouth piece is facing up, it seems to me that it should not be so sensitive, especiually when I am just spinning around. During the most recent dive in Key Largo, my brothers rental octo NEVER free flowed and while my dad's, who also bought the same octo, was not so touchy either.

I took it to the shop to have it "adjusted", but i really don't have an understanding of what that does. Is an adjustment all that is needed?

Thank you for your help.

When water pushes on the 2nd stage diaphragm it causes the demand lever to be depressed and air to be released.
The sensitivity to this is reduced by "de-tuning" the 2nd stage......in the case of the Brut this is done by screwing in the orifice closer to the seat.

If the 1st stage intermediate pressure is higher than your octo was tuned for this will also make it sensitive and can be reduced by tuning in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom