Sherwood Brut "freeze up" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't rule out a freeze up either. It's true a first stage freeze up will result in a usually violent free flow, but if ice forms around the lever and inlet assemply in the second stage, it will act just like the description given above with the air delivery falling off as the lever's range of travel is restricted, and returning as the ice melts in warmer water.

This was almost never a problem with metal cased second stages as the metal case transferred the heat from the relatively warm water into the second stage very efficiently. It does however occasionally happen with plastic cased second stages that are essentially insulated from transferring heat from the surrounding water.

The Sherwood Blizzard uses metal strips in the second stages to capture the heat from your exhausted air to thaw any ice that may try to form on the lever or inlet housing. The second stage is otherwise identical to the Brut in over all fucntion, so the heat transfer strips are apparently quite important in cold water.

It actualy goes to 120' the vis is great below the thermoclineand usualy pretty good above the thermocline. Very nice operators, Most of the staff members are EMT's or Higher. They had 75 divers Saturday. Their poor air compressor was working overtime.
Here's the link.

I was the second diver mentioned in this episode. This is the second time this has happened to me on this regualtor. The first time was as a newly minted OW diver In an AOW class during the deep dive portion. I had multiple equipment issues on that particular dive & was completely unaccustomed to the cold temperatures. Because of the stress my breathing rate was definately much greater at that point. I know that the reg did become very difficult to breathe & that I start taking in water. It may have froze up or I may have started to over- breathe it. I don't know. At that time I freaked out & panicked. The only saving grace then was a very attentive dive master that saw what was happening & basically saved me from myself. This past weekend The dive was going along OK for about 20 min. at that time the cold started to become a factor & I'm also wondering if the hood I was wearing was also contibuting to the discomfort. I have rather a double chin and it is hard for me to find a thick hood off the shelf that is comfortable around my neck. The hood I currently wear has a zipper down the back & I usually leave it unzipped for comfort. I believe that the person who was helping me to put it may have zipped it up making it very tight. It doesn't actually cut off my breathing, but it sure does give the sensation that it is. I did start to feel some stress at the end of that particular dive, but had the presence of mind to call the dive once I felt the regulator not responding to the demands I was placing on it. I am not saying it was or wasn't narcosis. If it was I didn't know it was. I am still rather new to diving (less than 1 year) and still have much to learn. I find it interesting about the one statement made in an earlier post that Narcosis can occur & be different from day to day & dive to dive depending on conditions. I was under the impression that narcosis happens at the same depth on the same person every time. That was some good, & for me, very useful information. Thank you. With each dive I make I seem to be learning more & more about what to look for & what I should be feeling within my body, to tell me when things aren't right. Just a little insight from on of the affected divers.

The Brut Is Actually A Lower End Reg Used Primarily For Rentals For Open Water Classes (who Don't Go Deeper Than 60ft.) Pick Up A Higher End Reg Like The Maximus Or Blizzard. Both Are Better Quality Regs That Can Handle The Colder Water You Dive In.

Well...... I just had that Brut regulator in for it's annual inspection. It was found to have it's intermediate pressure set too low. It is supposed to be 125- 150 PSI & was at 124 PSI. I asked my instructor, who did the inspection, if that could have been the cause of my issues. She said the it could have been. To the best of my knowelege it was at this intermediate pressure out of the factory (perhaps one that slipped by QC). I am not discounting that there could not have been some narcosis involved also, but it's good to know that it wasn't all in my head. I do not use the regualtor now, except as a spare or perhaps in the future for a pony. I just thought that I'd update this thread on what was found.

I think you definetly need to look at when they were last serviced. Freezing should not cut off air

Hi tstormwarning,
I'm not sure if the 124psi intermediate pressure could have led to what you experienced, as it is only 1psi from the recommended pressure range, and you should still be able to breathe dry.
I've heard of similar problems from Sherwood regs on this and other boards (not trying to beat up on any brand here, just stating my humble opinion). In fact several Sherwood regs have failed the Scubalab ANSTI breathing simulator tests at depth and the Navy's group A standards (I think at both 99 feet and 198 ft). I'm not sure if this problem is at the 1st or 2nd stage. Hopefully it won't repeat itself with your Sherwood Oasis - be vigilant on the first dive. I know you've just purchased a new reg, but IMHO a diaphragm first stage may be better if you dive deep (>60ft) cold water often.
Getting a pony bottle is one solution, although you'd want to be sure you're comfortable diving with an extra tank as it can affect balance and streamlining.
Dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom