Sherwood Blizzard v. Sherwood Oasis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1080iAddict

Reaction score
With 8 dives under my belt, I am hooked. Leaving on Thursday Jan 13 for buddy trip to Key West. I already bought a Genesis In-Line Pro console with compass and added a dive computer. Now its time to buy a regulator since asking the DM on the boat to detach their console and attach mine got old real fast - after 2 boat trips.

After visiting my LDS they recommended Sherwood and after research on this Board I can see why. First they talked to me about the Oasis and talked up the "no dry mouth" feature, but when I asked to see it, they only had the Blizzard in stock.

I was told the Blizzard was the same but as an added benefit it would also work in very frigid water. They also talked about different tuning of both regs but they would tune the Blizzard to be the same as the Oasis for me. The "no dry mouth" feature kinda did not get brought up again. I bought the Blizzard as an impulse buy since I was swayed that the 2 units are the same. I wanted to have a reg by Thursday also.

I am not going to be a frigid water diver. Call me crazy, but I like the warm water. Now I have second thoughts. Should I just keep it or return it and either have them order the Oasis and wait for it to come in (after KW), or go diving in KW with the Blizzard and forget about it since the Blizzard will work just fine in warm water? Is the "dry mouth feature" sales puff from Sherwood or is it better to exercize patience and return what I got for the Oasis?

If my LDS can't get the Oasis by Wednesday, is the Oasis widely available at other shops or are they typically on back order?

Thanks,

Adam

They are the same regulator in that they both have plated heat transfer fins which prevent reg freeze-up and captures moisture. The Blizzard has a plated exhaust heat sink which is absent in the Oasis. The Maximus is the blizzard with the added under arm hose, inhalation control knob, and dive/pre dive switch.

The First stage of all the regulators listed above are the same!

You get more out of the blizzard in that it also has a plated exhaust heat sink; for that future Seattle dive trip to see the Orcas!

I own the Maximus which I prefer over my other regulators most of the time because of the moisture retention.

There have actually been at least three threads on this very subject within the last couple of months. Have you tried doing a search? I think you'll find that most of the homework has already been done for you. :wink:

Bonne chance,

SubMariner:
There have actually been at least three threads on this very subject within the last couple of months. Have you tried doing a search? I think you'll find that most of the homework has already been done for you. :wink:

Bonne chance,

Sorry - you are correct. I usually search first but ran to the PC from the car after making my purchase. I'm keeping the Blizzard.

The blizzard as mentioned is the same reg as the oasis with the addition of the heat sink (the little ribs on the hose connection). They are the same price so I guess you are better off with the blizzard.

rescuediver009:
The blizzard as mentioned is the same reg as the oasis with the addition of the heat sink (the little ribs on the hose connection). They are the same price so I guess you are better off with the blizzard.

I returned the Blizzard and bought the Maximus. Why, I am the most anal retentive person in the world and I really never plan on ever diving in frigid waters. So I go back and almost buy the Oasis but then decide, well, maybe one day I will dive in frigid waters, so I got the best of both worlds and went with the Maximus. I exhaust myself at times.

No problem thats why we're all here. We're all anal retentive or addicts in some way or another my addiction is this web site...please help!!!

Anyway you made a great choice on the Maximus...Sherwood's best with all of their bells and whistles to play with.

Thats ok you will like the Maximus too. As mentioned it has the best of both worlds with the addition of a low profile hose, and the adjustment. Good call.

Back
Top Bottom