Shell harvester jailed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel sorry for her kids, must be quite a shock for them. But dura lex, sed lex, as the Romans used to say, throwing offenders to lions.

Off topic, but can someone tell me which snails jump when approached underwater? They look pretty much like ones pictured in this news story.
Fighting conchs, Strombus pugilis, can jump.

Fighting conchs, Strombus pugilis, can jump.
Thanks for the tip! But they looked more like their relatives, Strombus alatus. I found a picture I took.
7626521550_917e572bbc_o.jpg

I have seen plenty of them but never jumping so of course I had to google it...

Yes, they jumped like that! I took a video too but it will take awhile to find.

Damned if I don't learn something on ScubaBoard every day.

We had a guy arrested recently for collecting key deer antlers. Sadly, he was shooting the Key Deer to get them.

I used to walk around in the brush a lot off KD Blvd...by the blue hole. There was a spot back there where the FWC dudes would dump the carcasses of roadkill Key deer. The bucks were all missing their antlers. It was always my assumption that FWC removed them to deter poachers and scavengers.

I just returned from Nassau Bahamas and all along the country roads by the water's edge there were stands set up by the locals selling fresh Conch salads. The pul teh shells from the water and prepare them on the spot.

I need educating. Is it always obvious when there is a living thing in the shell, or can it retract inside so much you can't see it?

It isn’t always obvious but if you’re not sure then you shouldn’t take it.

On one occasion I had a shell in my pocket while snorkeling and later felt it trying to walk off crawling in my pocket. Needless to say a shell wasn’t worth killing a hermit crab for (although legal).

Back
Top Bottom