Sheldon Kiddie Compressor - Tank max before over heat? Bank bottle option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m going to put a fan on it and fill 2-3 tanks. I can only fill one at a time which is 35-40 minutes per tank. Do I even benefit if I put a manifold/ splitter to fill 3 at once? Also I want to fill nitrox. What is the best guide on here to follow for a stick?

the compressor prefers filling one at a time. The compressor has the same work load from 0 until you hit the PMV pressure *somewhere around 2000ish psi*. Once you get above the PMV pressure it has to start working harder which creates more heat, and the fill rates slow down a bit due to the heat and the compression. If you fill them all at the same time, then the compressor is working for a long time at the high pressures and doesn't ever really get a break. When you fill them one at a time, it goes up to the high work load then when you change tanks it drops back down to "cruise" pressure so it works a little less hard. Does it matter? Probably not in a home fill station, but it is technically better for the pump.
In terms of time though, cfm is cfm so there is no net time saved with a manifold and splitters. If you have a sufficiently large bank system, then the filling of the cylinders can be expedited, but you still have the same compressor time to refill the banks.

For nitrox, the sticks are pretty basic, I think there is a thread going on now about building a stick instead of buying a commercial one. They're pretty simple things though.

Thanks for that post @tbone1004

Every now and then I want to add another toy in the form of a manifold to my little Kidde. But to be honest, I don't know why other than just to make it slightly more convenient. I can rest easy now, and my compressor will continue to appreciate the break between fills.

Couv

Thanks for that post @tbone1004

Every now and then I want to add another toy in the form of a manifold to my little Kidde. But to be honest, I don't know why other than just to make it slightly more convenient. I can rest easy now, and my compressor will continue to appreciate the break between fills.

Couv

it won't appreciate stopping between fills, just the reduction in pressure. These are continuous duty compressors and no compressors like to be started and stopped

Right. At startup, shutdown, and between fills I run the compressor with the moisture separator drain open to unload it. I have a check valve installed between the moisture separator and the two filter towers.

It seems to work fine and fill tanks super slow but it seems to bogg down and change sound after a few fills. I think I'm going to sell it as it is simply too slow. What would you guys recommend? I have to fill in my basement for now. Would love to fill 4 at once but not break the bank.

Right. At startup, shutdown, and between fills I run the compressor with the moisture separator drain open to unload it. I have a check valve installed between the moisture separator and the two filter towers.

I do this or turn a tank on to run it through. My pop off needs resealed, how is that done? I think I'm willing to sell my and invest in a bigger one :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom