Sheerwater peregrine gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I understood correctly this DC will "estimate" the saturation during the free diving and will keep track of it if I switch into dive mode?
I believe that's true based on that manual excerpt you provided, but I doubt it will matter.

What is your typical freediving session? How deep, how long at depth, recovery time on surface, and how many hours in the water?

Just to double-check my intuition, I ran a freediving session that I think would challenge most people through a planner: freediving to 100 ft, spending 1 minute on the bottom (that's a breath hold for 4.3 minutes with 60 fpm ascent/descent rates), and a recovery period of 5 minutes between dives. 26 dives total. 4 HOURS in the water. Then allowed 30 minutes to set up the scuba gear, then dove to 100 ft again.

The NDL for that scuba dive was 12.34 min (Buhlmann ZHL16C+GF x/85, NDL defined by a non-zero ceiling.) You may be interested to note that the NDL for a clean scuba dive (no prior freediving) is exactly the same. In other words, tracking gas absorption during apnea mode sounds good on paper, but for the vast majority of people, it's a worthless feature. (That's not to say a dedicated apnea/freediving mode is worthless, however.)

If using a DC in gauge mode, the computer is not tracking or storing dive information.
I really don't know about the specific computers being discussed here, and I have never used a computer in gauge mode, but I do know that at least some computers will track and store dive information while in gauge mode.

When I was a UTD student, we were absolutely forbidden to use computers (the spawn of the devil, apparently). We had to plan and perform our dives using bottom timers to tell our depth and time. We had to calculate our ascents and make the required deco stops at depths and times of our own calculations.

Two divers in our group got mild cases of DCS after a dive in which they thought they had done nothing wrong. One of them was using a computer in gauge mode as his bottom timer, and he was able to download the dive profile from the computer's logbook. It showed they had made several mistakes executing their dive plan, mistakes that made a significant difference in the dive and likely caused their DCS. Without the gauge-mode computer's logbook profile, they would have continued to believe they had executed the dive plan perfectly.

I really don't know about the specific computers being discussed here, and I have never used a computer in gauge mode, but I do know that at least some computers will track and store dive information while in gauge mode.
I think I may have been a bit too general. I meant that they aren't tracking tissue loading, but I definitely didn't word it that way. Yes, some do store depth profiles and maybe some other bits of info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom