Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And DEMA starts tomorrow...
Probably find your answers at that time, maybe a day later if they are holding back for "a big reveal" thing.

Forgive me if I've misread you. But, if the battery is supposed to last 3 months in standby, I would expect the battery to drain by about 1% per day. Yours losing 20% in 21 days seems pretty consistent with that. This is the expected behavior, right?

As for the 30 hours in dive mode, I don't really know how to compare that against your 50% battery loss in 7 hours of diving, but it sounds like it's draining a little faster than expected. Do you have any sense of how much time you have the computer in dive mode, while not actually diving? If it's about an hour per dive, then that plus the 7 hours actually diving would add up to 15 hours, or 50% of the expected time. But, that sounds like a high estimate, to me anyways
My recently fixed Teric (2nd battery replacement in 2022) went from 100% to 80% in storage over the last week. That said, it's fine on a dive trip as I can top it off each night if need be. So....based on my own experience and what i see posted here on SB, I'd say that SW has definitely NOT solved the battery issues with the early Terics - but they've been great on fixing/support.

So you could buy another as a backup?
My problem is I’d like to buy a Teric but it is obvious it has more problems than a bad batch of batteries. I think the chronic failures indicate real engineering problems I personally, am staying away until actual design changes are made. I am not anti Shearwater. I feel my Perdix is the best computer around.
The world is ready for a Teric 2. Maybe the Tern is it.

its 775 retail for an AI dive computer with a compass.... in dive talk thats basically free. And yes I am a broke diver but I am ABSOLUTELY buying one and no one can stop me
Definitely. If I ever manage a 10-day liveaboard I would be very tempted to buy one of the Tern TXs for my backup computer to my Teric in case it pooped out on the boat. $775 is a bit spicy for a backup mind you !

My problem is I’d like to buy a Teric but it is obvious it has more problems than a bad batch of batteries. I think the chronic failures indicate real engineering problems I personally, am staying away until actual design changes are made. I am not anti Shearwater. I feel my Perdix is the best computer around.
The world is ready for a Teric 2. Maybe the Tern is it.
If the day comes when I can self-justify a $775 computer, the Tern TX is pretty much exactly what I want.

I even have a PPS transmitter from a Mares Abyss regset eBay purchase. The seller didn't mention it in the listing and I guess no one else picked up on it from the photos it so I essentially got it for free.

All I can say is they better get the battery right on this thing.
Battery on my Peregrine is excellent. You must be talking about the Teric then. What's wrong with the Teric battery ?

Battery on my Peregrine is excellent. You must be talking about the Teric then. What's wrong with the Teric battery ?
Completely different form factors. Terics have had many well documented battery issues. There are lots of threads on here about the issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113_205508_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_205508_Instagram.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 181
On, no. Four buttons. That's dead to me.

Before even seeing anything else.

Even if they figured out how to power it using cold fusion tech and it offers a 9 brazzillion year power source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom