Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. For the first 6 - 8 months of the Tern, all returned units go directly to Shearwater, so their engineers can evaluate what problems they are having. Only after that will Dive-Tronix start seeing them.

Well it would be great to get insight if it is the same battery to make a purchase decision. Like everything about it, just don’t want the teric battery system.

Well it would be great to get insight if it is the same battery to make a purchase decision. Like everything about it, just don’t want the teric battery system.

Just my opinion/guess: I really don't think the problem with the Teric is the actual battery. I think it is the battery management being done in the firmware (which is causing the battery to die prematurely). So, even if the Tern is the same physical battery, I wouldn't count that for anything for or against it.

Likewise, if the battery is actually different, I wouldn't count that for or against it. It could have a totally different battery and still have bad battery management firmware.

Just my opinion/guess: I really don't think the problem with the Teric is the actual battery. I think it is the battery management being done in the firmware (which is causing the battery to die prematurely). So, even if the Tern is the same physical battery, I wouldn't count that for anything for or against it.

Likewise, if the battery is actually different, I wouldn't count that for or against it. It could have a totally different battery and still have bad battery management firmware.

It is likely that the Tern will use the same firmware as the Teric.

If the Tern had a new firmware it wouldn't have a firmware version only three ahead of the Teric's current firmware (23 vs 26). They will likely sync up after the next firmware that includes Teric updates, similar to what happened with the Perdix and Petrel 2 after the Peregrine was released.

Looks like the Peregrine case with an insert.

AFAIK only the NERD and the Swift use difference cases.

Any updates if it has a different battery than Teric?

They said they haven't actually seen a Tern open yet...so it will be a bit before they can answer!

Yep. For the first 6 - 8 months of the Tern, all returned units go directly to Shearwater, so their engineers can evaluate what problems they are having. Only after that will Dive-Tronix start seeing them.
Has anybody asked Shearwater directly? I just sent them an email.

I would have thought that Shearwater would share information/educate Dive-Tronix regarding the Tern and Tern TX very early in the process so that they would be fully prepared to repair/replace them when they start coming in.

I would have thought that Shearwater would share information/educate Dive-Tronix regarding the Tern and Tern TX very early in the process so that they would be fully prepared to repair/replace them when they start coming in.

You would think, but often he finds out about new products when they first end up on his work bench.

To be fair, you don’t need to know the manufacturer, operating voltage, or capacity in mAh of the battery to know how to safely replace it

To be fair, you don’t need to know the manufacturer, operating voltage, or capacity in mAh of the battery to know how to safely replace it
To be fair, there are many additional issues that may need to be addressed other than the battery. My comment was a more general one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom