Shearwater Teric why no password system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well here is another issue. Lets say you were in an incident and unconscious and the medical staff needed to see your dive log to determine treatment and they are locked out from seeing your information. Not too good then.

Well here is another issue. Lets say you were in an incident and unconscious and the medical staff needed to see your dive log to determine treatment and they are locked out from seeing your information. Not too good then.
You did read my first post? :no:

I think if Shearwater added this in a firmware update, I'd stop at version N-1.

If I lost my Shearwater, well, I'll have to be more careful next time. Shearwater has a great UI. This would muck it up.

I think if Shearwater added this in a firmware update, I'd stop at version N-1.

If I lost my Shearwater, well, I'll have to be more careful next time. Shearwater has a great UI. This would muck it up.
How so? Did you read my first post?
The only time you would ever see the password prompt is if you went into the Owners info and wanted to change the Name and Contact Telephone number.
Nothing changes for users but it makes a Lost or Stolen Shearwater device pretty hard to resell and uncomfortable for someone else to use on a commercial dive boat.
Over time as this becomes more publicly known by divers it increases the chances that a lost one will just be returned as it is always going to be a possible liability and not an asset.

The only time you would ever see the password prompt is if you went into the Owners info and wanted to change the Name and Contact Telephone number.
Nothing changes for users but it makes a Lost or Stolen Shearwater device pretty hard to resell and uncomfortable for someone else to use on a commercial dive boat.
Over time as this becomes more publicly known by divers it increases the chances that a lost one will just be returned as it is always going to be a possible liability and not an asset.
Are you a politician?

Only a politician would take something completely working and then F it up.

That's why I've got 3 Shearwaters currently (I dive with 2). I've relied on them to get me out of a cave, relied on them to get me up safely from 200', relied on them to control my PPO2 on a rebreather, and now that I'm older, rely on them to count a 5 minute safety stop after a 45 minute dive to 45' in Bonaire.

Think about buying and selling Shearwaters legitimately. I don't want this extra headache. I also don't see the deterrant. The thief (or the buyer of stolen goods for a really good deal) just hide the screen as it starts up and no one will know. They don't ever have to connect it to a computer.

I'd rather appeal to people's honesty. That may be foolish, but I've seen a fair bit of expensive gear returned to rightful owners. Not everyone as I knew a guy who bragged about expensive gear that he found that he kept. I guess it comes down to how one views the average diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom