Shearwater Teric why no password system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robbyg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since the topic came up in another thread about the AI and Compass mode being left on while in watch mode I though I would bring up the only other software complaint I have with this fantastic Dive computer just in case they decide to do an update.

On the Teric you get a screen flashing up in Dive Mode with your Name and two telephone numbers.
I love this feature but I am wondering what is the point? It assumes that if I lost my Teric someone would be honest enough to call me and give it back. My personal experience has been that this is less than a 50/50 possible outcome. It may not be the case in Canada but in most places I have been it is.

I am in no way comparing this to an iPhone or some other device like that, I know this is a piece of professional gear that must put safety above anything else and you certainly do not want a password prompt coming up when your down deep and need info.

While it would be nice to lock the Teric and somehow prevent a thief from using it, I wonder why even the least risky strategy has not been implemented in the code. Why not just lock the Information screen so that in order to change the owners Name and Tel Number you need their password.

As it is now if someone finds your Teric they can just change the info and buy a new AI unit and pair it up again and they are good to go. Also I am not sure how the cloud system handles duplicate serial numbers on different accounts, one would hope that they would have some form of protection that requires you to deauthorize it from your account before it can be added to another account.

All dive gear should be considered disposable. If a feature does anything other than make the dive successful and safe, then it is unneeded.
And how does password locking your Name and Telephone number make it unsafe?

And how does password locking your Name and Telephone number make it unsafe?

Not your name and telephone number rather..the computer.

I'm not sure I like the idea. Can't imagine how they (SW) would unlock a locked computer. Logistical nightmare.

Not your name and telephone number rather..the computer.

I'm not sure I like the idea. Can't imagine how they (SW) would unlock a locked computer. Logistical nightmare.

They can unlock it by using a master password that is generated using your serial number.
Once they can verify the DC is yours then they can take your serial number and run it through software that will generate a master password that will only work on your device.

The second option is sending it back to them and having them just rewrite the code for the settings back to factory default. This update would also mean that a normal factory reset done by the user would not wipe the password or the Owners info. Only they could do that.

Third option is to build in a default password but that would mean that you would still have to send it back to them for them to enter it. If that password ever leaked out they would change it on the next update.

They can unlock it by using a master password that is generated using your serial number.
Once they can verify the DC is yours then they can take your serial number and run it through software that will generate a master password that will only work on your device.

The second option is sending it back to them and having them just rewrite the code for the settings back to factory default. This update would also mean that a normal factory reset done by the user would not wipe the password or the Owners info. Only they could do that.

Third option is to build in a default password but that would mean that you would still have to send it back to them for them to enter it. If that password ever leaked out they would change it on the next update.

Neat idea. Never ever going to happen.

That approach makes it 100% certain that you never get back your computer if you’re lax enough to lose it - versus the less than 50/50 odds you stated for displaying your name and phone numbers on an unlocked computer. Seems you have a solution looking for a problem?

That approach makes it 100% certain that you never get back your computer if you’re lax enough to lose it - versus the less than 50/50 odds you stated for displaying your name and phone numbers on an unlocked computer. Seems you have a solution looking for a problem?

How so? I have had friends and coworkers that have lost iPhones and in some cases the people who had them finally used the telephone number under the phones protective case and called them saying they had found the phone and asked what kind of reward was being offered for the phone. If those phones had been usable or sellable I doubt they would have gotten that call. And yes most of them got back the phone and paid the person a small finders fee. On the other hand I know a lot less people who got back their phone when it had no info on it and back in the days when these phones could be easily unlocked and sold I knew almost no one that got back a lost iPhone.

Honestly I do not get the resistance to this idea. You have a $1000 piece of gear that can casually be put in a persons pocket. Why do you hate the idea of it having some form of anti theft protection when that protection does not have any relationship to it's diving functionality? I also find it odd that you don't get the idea that another diver is really not going to be comfortable using a Device that pops up another divers name each time it is turned on and he cannot resell it because he cannot clear the name out of it.

How so? I have had friends and coworkers that have lost iPhones and in some cases the people who had them finally used the telephone number under the phones protective case and called them saying they had found the phone and asked what kind of reward was being offered for the phone. If those phones had been usable or sellable I doubt they would have gotten that call. And yes most of them got back the phone and paid the person a small finders fee. On the other hand I know a lot less people who got back their phone when it had no info on it and back in the days when these phones could be easily unlocked and sold I knew almost no one that got back a lost iPhone.

Honestly I do not get the resistance to this idea. You have a $1000 piece of gear that can casually be put in a persons pocket. Why do you hate the idea of it having some form of anti theft protection when that protection does not have any relationship to it's diving functionality? I also find it odd that you don't get the idea that another diver is really not going to be comfortable using a Device that pops up another divers name each time it is turned on and he cannot resell it because he cannot clear the name out of it.
How many divers lose expensive dive computers like a Teric that you wear like a watch. I’d bet it’s a rare occurrence, so I’d also guess that Shearwater would have little desire to add any additional complexity to their firmware for such a possibility?

Back
Top Bottom