Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it likely would stay nicely charged for a few months. I just like to have the confidence in it that goes with it being "fully" charged whenever I'm grabbing it to go diving. Since it turns off the charging automatically when full, I see no problem in turning on the charging once a day. I'd be curious to know how much battery power your Teric displays after a month of sitting around without any charging. And, if it matches up with what Teric advertises. I also turn off the transmitter linking signal when not in use since that uses up battery power constantly searching for the transmitter.

When it comes to battery charging, I'm always willing to learn as technology changes, but we have very different thoughts about it.

My current strategy for my phone is I generally charge when it hits 30%, but stop charging at 80%, as my understanding is the the lower and higher ranges stresses out the battery more. If I know I'll need the extra juice for some reason I'll charge to 100% or bring a small battery pack.

For my Teric, I'll charge to 100% if I am doing multiple days diving, but otherwise I'll do the same 80% for a single day's diving as I can generally get two, if not 3 days diving out of it.

After two weeks of diving Cozumel and Tulum in January, my Teric shows being out of the water for 44 days and has a 48% charge remaining. I don't remember if I charged it before or after my last day of diving, but either way I would have no problem taking it out for a single day of diving at it's current.

In comparison to what you are doing, I guess I just don't see the reason for putting another 44 charging cycles on it to keep it at 100% over that time. At best it's neutral, at worst it may have some negative effect.

Also, I leave my AI on as I have read in multiple posts from Shearwater that AI is only functioning when the Teric is in Dive Mode. What they don't recommend is leaving it on when you don't have a functioning transmitter for it to connect to as the constant searching will have a negative effect on battery life.

Here is another thread that discusses the Teric battery in more detail: The Teric's Battery Performance.

When it comes to battery charging, I'm always willing to learn as technology changes, but we have very different thoughts about it.

My current strategy for my phone is I generally charge when it hits 30%, but stop charging at 80%, as my understanding is the the lower and higher ranges stresses out the battery more. If I know I'll need the extra juice for some reason I'll charge to 100% or bring a small battery pack.

For my Teric, I'll charge to 100% if I am doing multiple days diving, but otherwise I'll do the same 80% for a single day's diving as I can generally get two, if not 3 days diving out of it.

After two weeks of diving Cozumel and Tulum in January, my Teric shows being out of the water for 44 days and has a 48% charge remaining. I don't remember if I charged it before or after my last day of diving, but either way I would have no problem taking it out for a single day of diving at it's current.

In comparison to what you are doing, I guess I just don't see the reason for putting another 44 charging cycles on it to keep it at 100% over that time. At best it's neutral, at worst it may have some negative effect.

Also, I leave my AI on as I have read in multiple posts from Shearwater that AI is only functioning when the Teric is in Dive Mode. What they don't recommend is leaving it on when you don't have a functioning transmitter for it to connect to as the constant searching will have a negative effect on battery life.

Here is another thread that discusses the Teric battery in more detail: The Teric's Battery Performance.

Makes sense, in general, but it takes monitoring the battery level which may not be possible when out of town for weeks at a time without the Teric.

I am thinking of getting one of these computers in the near futur. A lot of post about Teric battery issues lately. Is it that common? Enough to go with a perdix? I like the watch format. I know both are really good computers.

If you like the watch format, get the Teric. Of the many thousands of Terics out there, the few problems end up on this forum. And some polls won't help to get a sense of reality neither.

Only if 100 randomly chosen Teric owners are asked about problems, you will get a real idea of the battery is a common problem. But I don't have that impression, and therefor, it didn't influence my decision.

The problems with the Teric battery seem common enough that I am glad I have the Perdix.

A lot of the battery problems were with earlier produced Terics (I'd guess 1:5 ratio).

But, it seems that some newer Terics have the same battery issue and I think there's a few cases on SB where an older Teric that had a normally performing battery suddenly had one that drained fast.

It seems the battery used in the Teric is a 560mAhr one. I wonder why this battery has so many (initial) issues. I'm hoping, when it comes to the ~5yr replacement a more powerful and reliable battery is used.

If it was any other company other than SW I'd be slightly hesitant to buy a Teric too, but SW have a solid reputation for doing the right thing, and if down the track the battery weakens after 2 years and a day I don't think it'll be an issue apart from postage and missing a DC for a week or two.

I own a Teric and, obviously, I read the posts about battery issues with interest. Most, if not all I remember, are that the charge isn't holding as long as it should. Certainly not a good thing, but as I can get 3-4 days diving off a full charge, I don't remember anyone say that they actually missed dives because of it. They may just have to charge it more frequently until Shearwater swaps it out.

It's a newer product, but Shearwater seems to be responding quickly and I'm sure they will work it out.

I still think they are very equal products and as #Rollins says, it's whether or not you want the form factor.

Those are all good suggestions. How do you know if it’s a new version Teric or an older one that‘s been sitting on a self?

Reactions: Jay

Back
Top Bottom