Question Shearwater Teric (GF40/85) goes into DECO on first dive (max depth 25.9m, avg depth 17.6, duration 48mins)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedeeplastlong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, my Shearwater Teric goes into DECO on first dive (max depth 25.9m, avg depth 17.6, duration 48mins). Isit acting normal?

Attachments

• IMG_1896.png
    IMG_1896.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1897.png
    IMG_1897.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1885.png
    IMG_1885.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 115
Hi all, my Shearwater Teric goes into DECO on first dive (max depth 25.9m, avg depth 17.6, duration 48mins). Isit acting normal?
Please post gf's.

I’m not sure 40/85 would go into deco. I can see how a very conservative 30/70 would do it.

I’m not sure 40/85 would go into deco. I can see how a very conservative 30/70 would do it.

Because 50min at 18m (60ft) on air has you with a surface gf of like 90% and a direct ascent to the surface at 30ft/min won’t off gas enough to below 85%.

Hi @Divedeeplastlong

I assume you were diving air, is that right? As above, having your GFs would help answer your question.

It looks like you went into deco at about 35 min. Your max depth was 85 ft, avg depth 58 ft. Based on NDLs on air, you could easily have gone in deco depending on your GF high and exact profile.

1727017278348.png

Why didn't you clear your deco?

Why didn't you clear your deco?
Exactly.

To the OP. From looking at the graphs, it appears your computer was working correctly. I don’t see any crazy depth changes to indicate a malfunction. NDL decreased during the dive until it reached 0. Then you continued on with your dive and after ascending for a bit descended to your deepest point on the dive. Did you check your computer during the dive? If so, did you understand what it was telling you?

To others, especially newer divers reading this thread. If your computer indicates a deco requirement, don’t just assume it’s malfunctioning and ascend without completing (gas permitting) the stop. If it’s not giving obviously false depth readings, it’s probably working as intended.

Thank you all for the replies. I forgot to include the GF - I left it as default med 40/85.

And yes I was diving on air.

Previously I was diving with a sunnto d4 for about 150 dives and recently switch to a teric in 2020.

I did 6 dives (in the span of 2 days) with the teric in 2020 but didn’t hit deco once.

I stopped diving for 4 years due to work commitments and Covid. But I charge my teric once every 2 weeks to keep its battery healthy.

I decided to go back to diving this year, did my refresher in March 2024 (6 dives in span of 2
days) and never once hit deco.

I updated the firmware of the teric in April 2024 and did my first dive yesterday and was surprised it went into deco.

I was diving with my wife yesterday who was using an Apple Watch Ultra 2 (Oceanic+ app). We were diving side by side but the AWU did not go into deco. The AWU was set at 70/85.

I have very limited knowledge on GF and what GF I should set.

Should I change my teric GF to 70/85 to match my wife’s AWU so we both will have similar NDL/DECO?

Thank you all so much.

Thanks to everyone’s reply. To assure me that my teric is working fine and safe to continue diving with.

Back
Top Bottom