Shearwater Petrel 2 SA or EXT version?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi There,

Since a few month I was wondering about buying a Shearwater Petrel. As I am an OC Trimix diver I was looking at the SA version only and not the EXT one. But now, I will jump into CCR slowly. I don't intend to buy a CCR soon but nobody knows. So I was wondering if it's worth buying the EXT one and what kind of limitation I will have on CCR with the SA? And assuming I have a EXT one, will I be able to use specific features on a rented CCR?

All ideas and advises are welcome

Yvan

Yvan, I own both... If you are going to get into CCR and if you can afford the EXT then I would say get the EXT OC/CC w/ Fischer Port but make sure the CCR you get is fully compatible...
I use both as a backup. But I also know a lot of CCR divers that use the SA version because their CCR come with computer. You should also consider the Shearwater NERD.

I wouldn't get a NERD for OC diving. It's not worth it, and there's nowhere to mount it well.

If you're thinking about CCR, but not 100% sure, get the SA and when you do make the investment in CCR, you've got a backup computer ready to go.

I wouldn't get a NERD for OC diving. It's not worth it, and there's nowhere to mount it well.

If you're thinking about CCR, but not 100% sure, get the SA and when you do make the investment in CCR, you've got a backup computer ready to go.

Yes that's right the NERD is not for OC diving... The NERD is great for once he has a CCR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom