Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks more like a Perdix in rec mode not a Perdix in oc tec mode. Anyone wanting to do any type of tec diving with the Peregrine will be buying a Perdix shortly afterwards.

E966FCC2-7F10-49C3-8D77-03BB0C2D20E2.jpeg

C948140D-ED0C-4C9E-80A2-EB704D751CA7.jpeg

The center and right positions on the bottom row are configurable with a wide variety of options. I can't imagine this could not work for the majority of divers, including staged decompression. There are many computers available with multiple gases with less valuable information on the home screen

We put up a short video looking at it yesterday. I really like it! No it doesn't have AI or a compass, but it is a product the needs to sit beneath the Perdix in the Shearwater product range, and therefore can not have all the same features as a Perdix or it will totally cannibalize that models sales.

Shearwater are recognising that a vast segment of the DC market would not push to $800+ for a dive computer and so they have brought out a product which will compete with the likes of a Mares Quad, Suunto Vyper (perhaps) or the Aqualung i770/Suunto Eon but at a much lower price point....

It is not for everyone. If you're the person who MUST have AI, then the Perdix. If you need CCR, there's the Petrel. But if you're looking for something that's a step up from a Suunto Zoop/Mares Puck.... this is the beastie for you :wink:

My initial thought before I personally examined a Peregrine is that it could possibly be used for non-trimix tec diving. After having done so, I am less convinced of that. There is a reason why the Perdix has an oc rec mode and an oc tec mode.

I would not allow a student take a tec class beyond Tec 40 with a Peregrine.

If I didn't own other DCs, the screen alone would likely make this the default dive computer I'd look at.
Agreed. Pretty much every other wrist mount at this price or lower uses a standard LCD watch style display. That should be a significant draw.

I don't think that you missed the market. I suspect that these will sell like hot cakes. But you just glanced off the edge of my market.

PS, I also vote for the Pterodactyl next time.
I’m kind of glad they didn’t offer an AI version right away. My kids have their own computers right now, but an AI version would have probably had me buying two.

I think you kind of need to have a non-AI offering to appeal to a wider audience. An AI version wouldn’t appeal to the vacation diver that rents, but wants their own computer. Most (dive shops included) would probably not be comfortable attaching a pod to a rental reg.

BTW, I seem to recall reading that Pteric was considered as the name for the Teric to keep with the P theme, but they wanted to avoid mispronunciations. Pteric refers to a wing, like the SW logo.

I would not allow a student take a tec class beyond Tec 40 with a Peregrine.

Why? What doesn't it do that a Perdix does for going through Tec 45 and 50?
You can switch gasses. Tec 50 you dive 3 gasses.
Whatever information you don't get on the main screen, keep hitting the right button and you eventually will see it.
All of the pertinent information is on the main screen though.
I dove my Perdix and Perdix AI yesterday, one in OC Rec and one in OC Tec and I was looking at both for certain things. It was actually not bad having both layouts at once.

The Peregrine is on the DGX website now :). Not too late to have it shipped today

Mine is on its way and scheduled to arrive Friday. Unfortunately with this approaching tropical system I will most likely not be able to try it out on Saturday.

We put up a short video looking at it yesterday. I really like it! No it doesn't have AI or a compass, but it is a product the needs to sit beneath the Perdix in the Shearwater product range, and therefore can not have all the same features as a Perdix or it will totally cannibalize that models sales.

Shearwater are recognising that a vast segment of the DC market would not push to $800+ for a dive computer and so they have brought out a product which will compete with the likes of a Mares Quad, Suunto Vyper (perhaps) or the Aqualung i770/Suunto Eon but at a much lower price point....

It is not for everyone. If you're the person who MUST have AI, then the Perdix. If you need CCR, there's the Petrel. But if you're looking for something that's a step up from a Suunto Zoop/Mares Puck.... this is the beastie for you :wink:

Unless it has been changed, the Deepblu computer runs a proprietary version of Buhlmann, that is quite conservative, even on its most liberal setting

This might sound like an oddball question, but does anybody know if you use the pins, can you thread the straps from a PERDIX through and use them on the Peregrine (is the opening the same size)? Also, if I was going to use a "NATO Strap", what size would I need?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom