Shearwater Perdix--Disable Full Time Safety Stop Display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know the answer to this question but am hoping someone from Shearwater can weigh in on future changes to this.

My one issue with the Perdix display is a large deal-breaking one for me. It is that the "safety stop" is constantly displayed during the dive. For a recreational dive screen set-up, the only info I need/want to see is the minimum necessary to execute the dive safely: depth, time (I like the depth/time in the single window with depth larger), NDL, tank pressure (I don't' mind the mix in small font), and the GTR calculation.

But, on the Perdix, the large words "safety stop" appear all the time fully spelled out above NDL, and even worse the stop is in three large digits and a colon, four total (instead of the two for NDL). Because of the way we read (top to bottom) and the way our brains are wired (large things more important than small) my eyes go first directly to the safety stop info which appears to have more more visual importance than the NDL info. This is confusing, unnecessary and prevents the "at a glance" understanding of the key life/safety information.

The only thing I want to see in the "NDL" box is the actual NDL in large font because no space is wasted on safety stop, and the ascent rate indicator once I begin the ascent. I do not need or want to see "safety stop" until I actually reach the stop depth (6m), when it can then replace NDL entirely in the same nice big font and start the countdown.

This would seem like a simple like a no-brainer-simple thing to fix. Could something like this be done with a firmware update?

Shearwater, would you do this?

I know the answer to this question but am hoping someone from Shearwater can weigh in on future changes to this.

My one issue with the Perdix display is a large deal-breaking one for me. It is that the "safety stop" is constantly displayed during the dive. For a recreational dive screen set-up, the only info I need/want to see is the minimum necessary to execute the dive safely: depth, time (I like the depth/time in the single window with depth larger), NDL, tank pressure (I don't' mind the mix in small font), and the GTR calculation.

But, on the Perdix, the large words "safety stop" appear all the time fully spelled out above NDL, and even worse the stop is in three large digits and a colon, four total (instead of the two for NDL). Because of the way we read (top to bottom) and the way our brains are wired (large things more important than small) my eyes go first directly to the safety stop info which appears to have more more visual importance than the NDL info. This is confusing, unnecessary and prevents the "at a glance" understanding of the key life/safety information.

The only thing I want to see in the "NDL" box is the actual NDL in large font because no space is wasted on safety stop, and the ascent rate indicator once I begin the ascent. I do not need or want to see "safety stop" until I actually reach the stop depth (6m), when it can then replace NDL entirely in the same nice big font and start the countdown.

This would seem like a simple like a no-brainer-simple thing to fix. Could something like this be done with a firmware update?

Shearwater, would you do this?

Not trying to sound rude but it would seem this question is very specifically addressed to Shearwater so you might have better luck contacting them directly then asking on a general public forum. I have owned many Shearwater computer from Predator's, Petrel's, and Perdix's and have had nothing but extremely good customer service from them. If you email them or give them a call I'm sure they will answer your question. Contact Us | Shearwater Research

I don't think its rude at all, no worries. I posted here because maybe there is something I don't know about whether it can be disabled that people with experience can share.

I don't think its rude at all, no worries. I posted here because maybe there is something I don't know about whether it can be disabled that people with experience can share.
Yeah, but posting on the Shearwater forum is even more targeted to Shearwater users, AND Shearwater will see it.

I forgot there was a Shearwater forum. I re-posted there. Mods can close this thread if they wish.

Back
Top Bottom