Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry damn predictive typing on my phone switched it from Petrel to Petroleum. I think i will switch from my S7 to a more reliable and cheaper flip phone to prevent this from happening again. There really is no need for me to have a $700 phone to make phone calls when the free flip phone can do the job. Then I will just post from a regular computer.

Sorry damn predictive typing on my phone switched it from Petrel to Petroleum. I think i will switch from my S7 to a more reliable and cheaper flip phone to prevent this from happening again. There really is no need for me to have a $700 phone to make phone calls when the free flip phone can do the job. Then I will just post from a regular computer.

It's actually quite funny, nobody has thought of it before, took a phone to do it

Then why do I still end up talking to idiots on my smart phone that didn't change since the dumb phone days.

I dive with GUE folks sometimes. They use AI. When they take a GUE class, they take it off.:wink::)

I figured there would be some who do that. Do they use AI in addition to, or instead of, a mechanical SPG? Are these deco dives or rec dives?

I dunno--computers and flip phones are complicated. I prefer two tin cans and a piece of string.

I figured there would be some who do that. Do they use AI in addition to, or instead of, a mechanical SPG? Are these deco dives or rec dives?
Shallow dives; no deco. Its not sinful as far as I am concerned to use both SPG and AI DC.

My observations on diving over the years: just because one group says don't do it, does not mean we shut our eyes to another group that says redundancy is good. Having guidelines and best practices is excellent. We should all be open minded because many times groups change what they preach.

I agree completely, @compressor. It's healthy to keep an open mind as to what others are doing, if for no other reason than you may want to dive with them someday. And yes, things change over time. I don't think it's so bad that some groups are resistant to change, like changing the course of the proverbial aircraft carrier. If some new bit of technology is good enough, it will eventually be accepted as standard. I don't think this thread has been the train wreck some have accused it of being. That none other than Shearwater--a company rooted in tec diving--has come out with an AI computer has certainly gotten my attention, even if I am not rushing out to buy one.

Thanks Lorenzoid. FWIWs I have both my Air Integrated DC and my SPG malfunction at depth. But never together. Ultimately how you dive depends on your style and liking.

The few GUE divers I've talked to in person are far less draconian than GUE divers on scubaboard sound. I spent several hours discussing GUE at length with one of them during a scubaboard event at Ginnie Springs a year or two ago. I have no doubt you will benefit from the class.
The GUE instructors I have worked with are much less draconian that the reputation suggests. They insist that what you do must work for you. They can tell you what works for most everyone, but within reason, if it works for you they can handle it. Not that you should show up in an i3 BCD or anything, there are limits...

Back
Top Bottom