Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will be interesting to see if they keep the SAC display option. I can easily imagine people complaining that it said their SAC was 25 psi/min during a dive, they had 1000 psi, and they ran out in 10 minutes - because they were at 100' depth, and weren't savvy enough to factor their depth into their mental math regarding their SAC vs gas left. Well, and they had their display showing SAC instead of GTR.

Actually, it does calculate and display SAC (if you set it to display it). That is, surface psi/min. It does not do RMV, as that would require configuring the computer with tank size.

As an aside, I am happy to see that Shearwater has adopted the definition of SAC as (surface) psi/bar per min and RMV as cu-ft/liters per min. That has always been my understanding of the definitions, but there is obviously a lot of dissent about that. If anyone can bring standardization to that terminology, Shearwater can.

Actually, it does calculate and display SAC (if you set it to display it). That is, surface psi/min. It does not do RMV, as that would require configuring the computer with tank size.

Thanks Stuart, I actually went diving today (Jupiter 3 tanker) and have not had a chance to read the Perdix AI manual yet. SAC is really not very useful to me. In fact I do not want or need my real time RMV either. On the other hand. I do wish SW would fix GTR, we had this entire discussion, in detail, many days ago. Fortunately, I do not need a new AI computer yet, my Oceanic VT3 just keeps running and running.

Am I being thick here?

Given that GTR is calculated using your current depth and breathing rate. Surely the SAC displayed will also be adjusted for depth no?

That's certainly what happens on my computer at least

OK, so Shearwater has the Petrel 2, the Perdix, and the Perdix AI. Nobody is forcing anyone to use something they don't want to and the entire spectrum is covered. Why does this thread continue to be so contentious? Dive what you want and be happy:)

OK, so Shearwater has the Petrel 2, the Perdix, and the Perdix AI. Nobody is forcing anyone to use something they don't want to and the entire spectrum is covered. Why does this thread continue to be so contentious? Dive what you want and be happy:)

My opinion: Because some people whose posts carry the weight of a big number in their profile keep posting (over and over ... and over ... and over) things that imply that if you use AI you are either dumb, lazy, or poorly trained - without actually substantiating those implications. Others want the thread to have counterbalancing points of view on record for the possible benefit of future readers.

It does seem rather pointless, doesn't it?

Thinking about it, I suppose a SAC display might be useful on a tech dive (vs GTR on a rec dive). Monitoring to see that your SAC is maintaining at the value you planned for would be a comforting confirmation that I would find more trustworthy than checking my SPG and doing mental math to check my actual consumption against my plan.

Planning waypoints, with expected pressure readings at each is good, but I'd prefer to monitor my consumption more frequently than just my waypoints and know sooner, rather than later, if, for example, I planned for an RMV of 0.7 and I'm actually burning 0.9. That could mean I'm breathing more than I expected, or it could mean I'm in low viz and I have a leak somewhere that has gone undetected thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom