Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't the guy that said they would disrespect them, but those of us who said that Shearwater was not coming out with AI were doing so based off of the most recent statement by the founder of the company who said, direct quotes
"We have no plans to add wireless air integration to our computers."
quoted by Bruce, on this forum, 11/14/14. I understand that is 2 years ago, but that is the most recent official statement from the company. DiveCAN has the ability to monitor tank pressure via wired sensors, and I believe 1 or 2 OEM's are doing it. I'm glad that they changed their mind, but before you go calling us naysayers, remember that we were saying that based off of official information direct from the horses mouth

I didn't mean you actually :)

Wow. Did you really find it necessary to post three times in less than an hour to say the same thing? No one laughed the first time; doesn't mean you have to try again...

It was minutes of each other I think, nowhere near an hour.

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Why are you so grouchy anyways? Were you one of these naysayers that jumped up and down insisting that no AI for SW or did you just get Perdix and now have to sell it dirt cheap?

Last edited:
What I find ironic is all the posters that wanted a cheaper "recreational" SW are now cheering for the pricer AI Perdix.

O

only if I copy and paste their quotes and statements from that thread into this... :D

I SO wanted to do that. But, I'm not going to.

I especially want to re-post the ones that said (or, STRONGLY implied, if you will) that if SW added AI, it would turn the computer into a worthless piece of junk with a bunch of crap that nobody needs. That, by adding that one feature, it would make it exactly analogous to Porsche making the Boxster. As if adding a new feature somehow makes the computer less capable than it was previously. Or maybe not less capable, but, even though we're talking about Shearwater, it would be less reliable.

And the posts that say that many/most rec divers want a computer that makes them look like a tech diver. The arrogance in those posts! "I'm a bad-ass tech diver and any rec diver that sees me wants to be like me!" LMAO!!!

I just cannot get over how happy it makes me that Shearwater have created the Perdix AI AND that they opted to use PPS transmitters, which already have a long and solid track record of reliability, and are already on the new and used market in plentiful amounts. With this, Shearwater have REALLY one-upped the rest of the industry in delivering what is most likely to give customers the highest satisfaction.

I will post the best post from that thread..

On 26th Jan 2016
I think Shearwater should introduce AI in the perdix or another computer like it, However they should hedge their bets by continuing to offer a non AI computer for the traditionalists who would cry witch and attempt to burn Shearwater at the stake here at Scubaboard.

Ladies and Gents we have a winner. Now real out the stake and the firewood as we have a witch to burn for their prophecy :D

And the posts that say that many/most rec divers want a computer that makes them look like a tech diver. The arrogance in those posts! "I'm a bad-ass tech diver and any rec diver that sees me wants to be like me!" LMAO!!!
`

:)Hilarious. Made me smile for a good amount of time.

Last edited:
For those who have recently purchased their Perdix and wanted the AI, it is no doubt painful. Now they either have to sell it at a loss or just suck it up. I do think that other good options will come forward as time marches forward and technology advances.Example could be monitoring the oxygen content of the gas (or for that matter the CO or CO2), measuring flow volume loops, tidal volume and many many more. No doubt it will be exciting in the years to come.

(idle speculation)
Given that Shearwater maintains their warranty for 2nd hand/ebay computers, there will probably still be decent demand for the non-AI Perdix. The used sale price ranges from $500 to $700 right now. A $100 drop might be reasonable but still not bad.

If you take the Anti AI sentiment on SB, I'm sure they'll be a ton of buyers who want a Perdix without that pesky AI cluttering up the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom