Shearwater Perdix AI vs. Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. That’s not correct. It was true until the Swift was introduced. Around that time, the firmware was updated, and this allowed connection to 4 transmitters fir the Perdix AI and Teric.

For the Perdix AI, firmware v84 added support for 4 transmitters in July 2021. V19 for the Teric around the same time.
So I need to update my perdix and I have that feature? I like it. I track my two coffee thermoses , would love the ability to sync also with a dive partner running em too. Not really a need I guess. I can just check if his face turning blue :)

Except the transmitters have a very short range

So I need to update my perdix and I have that feature? I like it. I track my two coffee thermoses , would love the ability to sync also with a dive partner running em too. Not really a need I guess. I can just check if his face turning blue :)
Yes. Latest version I believe is V87, but only minor updates since V84. V84 is definitely an improvement. In addition to the support for 4 transmitters, there are a number of other enhancements. Sidemount mode, DCIEM algorithm support (extra cost), and additional options I don't see myself using anytime soon.

But, my favorite was adding customized mini displays. You can now add 3 line mini displays that each take up one slot on the customizable line.
Except the transmitters have a very short range
Yeah, this. While adding a buddies transmitter is possible, the range is short, so most of the dive will have that transmitter showing "NO COMMS". Plus, your buddy should be able to monitor their own gas supply.

Yeah, this. While adding a buddies transmitter is possible, the range is short, so most of the dive will have that transmitter showing "NO COMMS". Plus, your buddy should be able to monitor their own gas supply.
I like the idea of seeing my wife's air without having to grab her spg. I only have to have my left arm near her tank and it should pick it up when I want that info. Same goes for when my kids start driving. Yes, they should be monitoring and reporting remaining air per our plan but that isn't always the case. Just one more layer of comfort for me since I'm their diving sherpa.

I like the idea of seeing my wife's air without having to grab her spg. I only have to have my left arm near her tank and it should pick it up when I want that info. Same goes for when my kids start driving. Yes, they should be monitoring and reporting remaining air per our plan but that isn't always the case. Just one more layer of comfort for me since I'm their diving sherpa.
Grab their arm then to see their computer. If they can’t monitor their own air, perhaps they shouldn’t be diving.

Grab their arm then to see their computer. If they can’t monitor their own air, perhaps they shouldn’t be diving.
It's more a peace of mind for me, not them. I'm the person that will ensure they are taken care of even at my expense, hence being the dive gear mule. I have no doubt that my wife can and does monitor her air just fine. My 12 yr old I'll be doing exactly what I said, pulling their spg for me to see if/when I want more accurate than fingers on a forearm. Once I get the ok to pick up a new DC then I'll also grab a couple extra transmitters for their rigs. Since they'll be near my left side (where I prefer a tagalong buddy anyways) I can easily see what I want with a wick sweep back (purely hypothetical of course).

I understand that. My wife doesn't dive, but my two daughters do. My daughters have their own transmitters. At various points during the dive, I'll signal for them to tell me what their gas supply is. They respond quickly. This helps to remind them to check regularly. I want them to be self sufficient. I don't want them to rely on me or anyone else to keep them safe.

One thing I've found quickly. If we are using the same size tanks, their gas supply will always outlast mine. Gas supply is pretty closely matched when I'm using a much larger tank.
Agree 100%. Relying on another diver (guide or parent/spouse) to monitor gas supply is a bad idea. While good intentioned, it can lead to reliance on that other diver instead of handling this on their own.

Sooooo, old thread, but haven't seen... A lot of times, companies come out with new versions so they can stop supporting the old one, and make you rebuy....I know shearwater has had a history of supporting precious versions, but I also know that they were sold to someone else a few months prior to this "new version", and people like to see return on investment...

Has anyone seen if they are still going to support the original perdix, and perdix ai, or is all support now for the perdix 2, which we pretty much all agree has all the same features, but with a new name?

Sooooo, old thread,
Since there have recently been several 10+ year old threads resurrected, I don't think this one qualifies as old.
but haven't seen... A lot of times, companies come out with new versions so they can stop supporting the old one, and make you rebuy....I know shearwater has had a history of supporting precious versions, but I also know that they were sold to someone else a few months prior to this "new version", and people like to see return on investment...
This is actually addressed in the firmware V92 release notes.
Firmware.JPG

Since most of the line uses the same firmware, I expect support for the "older" models will continue. At least when the hardware allows it. The Petrel 1 only dropped from the above list because the hardware could no longer support the latest firmware. I think it simply ran out of space.

When the Peregrine was introduced, the newest firmware was released only for the Peregrine. Since then, there have been several other releases that mostly included all computers sharing that firmware.

Back
Top Bottom