Shearwater NERD 2 "for OC Divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I don't use the phrase "gear solution to a skills problem" often, but all that tech to feed tank pressure, NDLs and depth into your mask?

It's definitely overkill for the price. ($2k+ !!!). I'd interested more in an inexpensive warning system, like a $100 add-on to a $200-$500 dive computer.

It's definitely overkill for the price. ($2k+ !!!). I'd interested more in an inexpensive warning system, like a $100 add-on to a $200-$500 dive computer.

Bad idea. What you need (assuming that the dive count is correct) is to learn to be situationally aware, and to check your gas / NDL / time / depth at regular intervals. The last thing that you need is a gadget to do that for you.

Bad idea. What you need (assuming that the dive count is correct) is to learn to be situationally aware, and to check your gas / NDL / time / depth at regular intervals. The last thing that you need is a gadget to do that for you.

I'm a fairly anxious diver and am OCD about that - but I can understand why people might end up relying too much on hardware here and it could cause problems.

I'm a fairly anxious diver and am OCD about that - but I can understand why people might end up relying too much on hardware here and it could cause problems.

Look, we all rely on hardware to some degree - we don't have gills! But as you get more experienced, you will develop more and more of a feel for how quickly you use gas, changes in depth, etc... Something like this would be counterproductive. You really want to monitor that stuff yourself, and you don't have to do it so frequently.

Rebreathers are different, you really do need to closely watch your PO2, and that's why the NERD is great for us. But it's just not necessary for open circuit, IMHO.

Wow, I don't use the phrase "gear solution to a skills problem" often, but all that tech to feed tank pressure, NDLs and depth into your mask?

If it was the same price as a regular Perdix AI and it could mount on my mask instead of my LP hose, I would be all over it. I mean why not?

To me, it's not "all that tech". It's all that MONEY! Nope. Not until I buy a CCR, anyway.

If it was the same price as a regular Perdix AI and it could mount on my mask instead of my LP hose, I would be all over it. I mean why not?

To me, it's not "all that tech". It's all that MONEY! Nope. Not until I buy a CCR, anyway.

Up to you if you feel like that would enhance your diving experience - you are a trained technical diver. The other poster has less than 24 dives, I can't imagine any instructor feeling that it would be good for him or her to rely on that.

I would think that it would be an unnecessary distraction in your field of vision. I accept that tradeoff because I need to continually monitor my PO2, and it's hard to keep checking your console while lining up a shot. On OC, I don't need to continually monitor my tank pressure / depth / NDL / time, so that stuff is on my wrist (or SPG) when I need it.

It seems like they could probably make it a LOT smaller if it only needed to power a warning LED occasionally.
Or are you saying that adding a transmitter antenna to a dive computer would make it too big?

I think the antenna in the receiver w/LED has to be physically big too. You'll be looking at a device that's not much smaller than tank transmitter, and not that much cheaper either, that can only blink a led.

Here's a thought: put the LED in the pressure pod, mount it on a 10" hose, tie it off to the inflator hose, see the led by looking at your left shoulder.

I think the antenna in the receiver w/LED has to be physically big too. You'll be looking at a device that's not much smaller than tank transmitter, and not that much cheaper either, that can only blink a led.

Here's a thought: put the LED in the pressure pod, mount it on a 10" hose, tie it off to the inflator hose, see the led by looking at your left shoulder.

The antenna/receiver in my Atom 3.0 can't be very big...

I expect the antenna is wound or etched on a PCB in a spiral. You'd need a receiver, too, and the smarts to pair it with the DC. Anyway, people dive with mask-mounter gopros so I think a big device is not out of the question. It's a big device that only blinks a LED that I'm having hard time believing in.

That's kind of where I'm stuck. Maybe next spring at bonus time... Still lacks audible alarms but I think given that it's in your face this may be less of a big deal. The battery not being user serviceable kind of sucks. I don't dislike rechargeable because I'm worried about the battery "failing." I dislike it because I could potentially miss a dive if I didn't charge it. I could lose the charger (I did that with my can light once - pita). With replaceable you can still use rechargeable, but if something happens you could slap an alkaline in there and go diving. I don't think the battery would keep me away, but it is frustrating to see the route they went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom