Shears + line cutter + locking sheath oh man! Way to go Leatherman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, bulk is good. You can just throw them away when they become dull.

Heck, no need to throw them away. With those cheap scabbards they come in, I lose them within days anyway.

I rarely carry a cutting tool when diving locally since fishing is prohibited and there are very few potential entanglement issues other than kelp... and I can break the stipes with my fingers if necessary. However in areas where entanglement is an issue I like the idea of redundancy. One can easily lose a cutting tool if wearing gloves.

well, I'm disappointed that no one sees the potential in these. Perhaps I'm on my way to a hard lesson. Here are a couple details I think some overlooked:

First, the shears don't need to be unfolded to be deployed in the water, they fit into the sheath ready so you just pull them out and cut. Also, if you'd watched the video that I posted above, you'd see that that the line cutter can be deployed at the same time as the shears, making it a true multitool without any underwater folding or fumbling.

Next, these were free to me, so while you criticize spending more money than what you spend on disposable shears, know that this was even less to me and I wrote this introduction because I'd thought some might be interested and looking forward to my review once in hand. I hope some have/will appreciate my time for only curiosity's sake.

Third, I no more suggest wearing the shears as pictured as I do wearing the pictured slacks while diving...I had imagined the sheath on a BC where I can reach them with either hand.

Lastly, while I did say that I expect this tool to be only for my freshwater dives, I'm not convinced by the comments here that it would be any worse for salt water than any other stainless steel tool. I won't be trying it out myself because I think salt water will ruin it just like any other blade, and I'd like to be sure my cave equipment is in top shape.

I hope I like the tool, but I will have redundant cutters on my person regardless. I'll share my experiences when I have the time.

cheers.

Next, these were free to me, so while you criticize spending more money than what you spend on disposable shears, know that this was even less to me and I wrote this introduction because I'd thought some might be interested and looking forward to my review once in hand. I hope some have/will appreciate my time for only curiosity's sake.

Free is good :D. I will certainly be interested in the real world review, and thank you in advance for it. I think we all come across as being "negative" when the intent is "constructive criticism". I think the internet is to blame for some of that, and the pack mentality that this, like almost all forums, takes on.

Good luck with them, I hope they come in handy at some point.

I see nothing wrong with your decision. I too am a gear/gadget nut. Sometimes something just catches your eye and you gotta try it out. Kudos to you for getting it for free!

That said (and despite being a knifemaker myself) I plan on carrying a zip knife and throw-away shears once I finish OWC.

If I do end up carrying any knives/tools, they will be "above and beyond" the zip/shears system and therefore be redundant. I think your plan of this being a part of a redundant system sounds good to me.

And yes, I do plan on making a titanium dive knife regardless of what anyone else says....just 'cuz they're cool....and 'cuz I can. :D

It's NOT a diving tool. It wasn't designed to be one. It is not sold as one. Diving is not listed as a potential use for one. It should not be used as one, for most the reason's discussed above.

I'm sure it works great above the water, and from the video, it certainly seems you've found uses for it in your job as an EMT, and that's great. But I don't see that it provides any benefit over similar tools that are smaller, cheaper and more streamlined and designed with diver's in mind. (You don't need a Oxygen wrench underwater)

...meh...

With the pleasure of reviving a year+ old thread, how did these work out underwater? I've got a pair for working on the ambulance and I absolutely love them for that but I'm still not sold on taking them on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom