She experienced an earthquake while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing. Glad I don't really dive in earthquake-prone places. But great to read about what it was like.

Pretty regular occurrence if you dive around the 'Ring of Fire'. Nothing stays still for long round these parts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, have had earthquakes while underwater in Vanuatu (Santo and Port Vila) and PNG. Also volcano eruptions in PNG (Rabaul). The earthquakes sounded like a large ship had passed overhead, the volcano a constant rumbling going on for minutes at a time over a whole dive.

Scariest thing would be to be inside a shipwreck when one happened. I know a few people who have been in the SS President Coolidge when earthquakes hit. They got out ASAP.

Living and diving in SoCal for 45 years, I've been diving during earthquakes but never one that had that kind of impact on the submarine environment. Pretty amazing. I do have a friend who was diving out of Banda Aceh, Indonesia, when the huge tsunami hit. She said they didn't feel much at all while diving, but as they headed back to port they started seeing all the dead bodies floating in the water. She was stranded there for about two weeks before she could get a plane home.

incredible story...thanks for sharing.

Wow- that's incredible.

An inadvertently interesting part of the story is the anecdote about the near miss: not going to a hospital due. But even with an earache bad enough she thought she should go to the hospital she still went diving? Glad it worked out for her this time.

Think there may be an element of sensationalism with this story. Media love things like this. When i dived through the Padang quakes roughly 414km from the epicentre the news interviewed EARTHQUAKE SURVIVORS who were evacuated from a mall in Phuket because the tsunami alarms went off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom