Shb Instruments Introduces Navimate™ Device - Makes GPS Available to Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What am I missing? The GPS capability seems all but wholly superfluous, unless you have a bathymetric chart with adequate resolution to be of interest to a diver ranging over a couple hundred yards. That can be seen on a what, 30 x 30 pixel wrist screen. That have any bathymetric relief or features prominent enough that you can orient to them. I can't recall seeing even surface topographic charts with that kind of scale.

Not that an acoustic location system with good directional precision and range estimation wouldn't be a great thing to have. I've long wanted one. Just don't see the point of GPS...

ETA: Ah, waypoints are a nice feature, I guess that's where GPS comes in. You can find that great lobster hole or wreck again next week. That will add a new dimension to murky NorCal diving - a second dive to the same spot!

Even if the precision of the locations determined acoustically aren't as good as claimed, it would be a nice thing to be able to map the relative positions of the divers around you. You could easily regroup even in somewhat bad viz, like we do topside when we're roaming about.

I dont think the gps part of it is for what you are trying to use it for. rather it is a foundation platform that its functions are calculated from/on. your exact position i believe is not that important as the relative position's as you find valuable. some place in the process is using the gps to determine the relative positions from a known fixed point and relaying that data. then the wrist units is probably showing the lat/lon calcs on a scalable display.

ie i am 2 blocks norrth of the firestation and you are 3 blocks south. we are 5 blocks from each other. the 5 blocks are relative from a known posit.

Yeah, the acoustic signale are the only information about what goes on underwater, and all positions would be relative to the gateway. Then it converts that into lat/long coordinates for display and calculation. Since you can get an absolute fix on waypoints, not just relative to the anchor spot or some surface markers, that's a big plus for finding the spot again. I've dived a lot of places along the coast here that are hard to find a second time because visibility is usually poor and there can be a lot of structure spread around an area. Making geo-fixed waypoints would help develop a map of underwater features that would be hard to do by other means.

We are excited to bring the revolutionary Navimate™ underwater navigation system to the diving community. The anticipated shipment of the first units in the middle of 2010 was delayed, but we will have initial units available by the end of 2010, and begin retail sales in 2011.

We continue to add features to the Navimate™ software to make it a better and more exciting product. Units already in use can be upgraded with the latest downloaded software.

Inquiries about Navimate™, its features and availability have been received from more than 50 countries around the world. Be assured that whether you have asked about distributorships or just want one for your own use, we are keeping your name on our mailing list and will update you as shipment nears.

Please see our website at the new address of Navimate - GPS for Divers for continuing details, and visit us at the 2010 DEMA show in Las Vegas (Booth #1510).

Email I received today

Has anyone received any further updates about this product?

Since you've posted in a thread whose most recent prior post was Nov 2010, please see the June 2011 update I posted here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ns/209714-underwater-navigation-device-2.html post #55.

I've heard nothing since, and there's nothing new on their website.
AFAIK SlicerDicer is certainly correct wrt any current availability. But as of a year ago, they were still keeping the dream alive.

I thought I'd give it a full year before inquiring again. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom