Shasta Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icantdive55

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Shasta Lake is currently 150' below the high water mark. This gives us divers a chance to investigate our favorite dive sites from the surface. I have attached a couple of photos that some might find interesting. The Sacramento arm of the lake has 3 train tunnels that are located between 80 and 165 feet below the high water mark. The most northern tunnel is high and dry. It is a pretty cool dive when the lake is full or nearly full. Where the cement port holes meet mother earth we have a cave in on both sides of the tunnel. Access through the tunnel is still possible. The middle tunnel has a steel bridge on the north side. Note the date on the tunnel. The third tunnel is still submerged today but should become visible in a week or so as the water level drops. Currently the visibility is a foot or less, bummer.

Attachments

• Shasta Lake 1.jpg
    Shasta Lake 1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Shasta Lake 12.jpg
    Shasta Lake 12.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Shasta Lake 7.jpg
    Shasta Lake 7.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 113
Yes. The lower the lake the worse the vis. The first tunnel is a cool dive when it's 30 or more feet under the water. I have dove all 3 tunnels and the vis was much better then. It was many years ago when the lake was at this level. The 3rd tunnel is very long (between 1500 and 2000 feet) I haven't been through that one. I'm going to check on the vis again in a few weeks.

That is really awesome. I would love to dive those sometime....

Back
Top Bottom