Sharm El Sheikh Shark Attack - rumour control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update Crowley, that gives a fairly good flavour for what's it's like there at the moment.

Guess nerves are frayed, all the way up and down the tourist chain.

I have a question, curiosity purely. When I was at the Brothers/Daedalus last year the Oceanics turned up nearly immediately out liveabord did. It was a wonderful viewing gallery.

Sometimes when they didn't show up during the dive we'd bang a couple of weights together and invariably 30 seconds later at least one would show up. They honestly seemed like dogs you could whistle to.

Is the same not true now in Sharm? Are they not attractable by similar means? Can an investigatory boat not attract some or all in the area to their boat? Or was the behaviour I observed atypical and getting their attention not so easy?? Im sure if it was this simple it would have been done just wondering what tactics are being employed to try to locate any OWT population in the area.

Stay safe and happy diving!

Cheers,
J

as if it wasn't bad enough at the moment - all the jetties are closed today due to bad weather and possibly tomorrow also!

Don't know about banging weights together but one of the investigatory boats was (allegedly) seen with a stuffed wetsuit on the dive platform... possibly trawling a fake snorkeller in order to attract attention!?!?

C.

Sounds like they have been watching discovery channel, where they tow a fake seal behind the boat...
But hey, if it works, and it helps the situation there why not :)

Anyone know what is the situation? I'm going there on the 31st

The situation remains unchanged from the last update I gave. Dive sites only open to experienced divers, local north is closed completely, all other water sports activities completely prohibited. Might change tomorrow, might be next month. We don't know.

C

"the sea turned red with blood..." and "...the trigger that turned the Red Sea's sharks into human killers...";
"when they find food they stay put - particularly if that food is the flesh of mammals"
Thanks - just what we all need here - scare stories.

"The sightings board shows they were seen at least three months ago" what - so we should have shut the resort because longimanus was spotted in the area? They are here all year, every year - so we close sharm for business because there are sharks here just like there have always been?

"with a flourish, the authorities re-opened the beaches" - so it is their fault is it? Sure, I think it was a mistake but there was almost rioting happening on the beaches with angry tourists complaining how their holiday has been ruined and demanding their money back.

I am so very sorry that people were hurt and one lady lost her life - but this naive reporting is exactly what we don't need here.

C.

Well I guess the sea actually will turn red with blood in a attack. And if only one or two of them are guilty then they have specialized on swimmers...and we are mammals.
What do you suggest Crowley, that the danger should not be talked about. Put our heads in the sand an hope they will not find us !?

I think this article summarized well the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom