Sharm El-Sheikh : Holiday Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomson_adam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone

Apologies for the second post
I am thinking of going to Sharm in October and have a few questions.

I originally wanted adults only 5* hotel with a house reef so i could dive from there. I apricate that getting all isn't always possible.

My partner doesn't like boats so to maximise diving i like half day dives or shore dives from the hotel.

1- Is October a good time to visit ? is the sea temp ok ?
2 - Are there any hotels that have house reefs i can dive from ? if so can you recommend any ?
3 - Are there any operators that leave from the hotel ?
4 - Are there any operators that offer half day dives ?
5 - Where do most operators leave from ?

I have seen a nice hotel which isn't adults only but is close to the airport , its called TUI BLUE | CORAL SEA SENSATORI RESORT

Hello Everyone

I originally wanted adults only 5* hotel with a house reef so i could dive from there. I apricate that getting all isn't always possible.

My partner doesn't like boats so to maximise diving i like half day dives or shore dives from the hotel.

2 - Are there any hotels that have house reefs i can dive from ? if so can you recommend any ?

I have seen a nice hotel which isn't adults only but is close to the airport , its called TUI BLUE | CORAL SEA SENSATORI RESORT
1. good sea temp, high touristic season
2. for example Jaz Fanara, Stella di Mare, Hyatt Park Regency, etc... I won't recommend any, as the house reef in Sharm is not the best (better going to Safaga or Marsa Alam)
3. some have a dive center inside, but any dive center will pick you up at nearly any hotel
4. never tried, no idea
5. most of them depart from the port of Sharm

Hi!

I'll try to answer some questions below.

Hello Everyone

It's high season, but don't forget visitor numbers have been down in recent years for various reasons. I shouldn't think it'll be very busy overall, though your mileage may vary, etc, etc.

Sea temperature absolutely ideal.

Sentido Reef Oasis/Reef Oasis Beach Resort share a nice house reef (Temple dive site)

Most will pick you up free of charge, provided you are within reasonable driving distance (for instance, if you are staying somewhere at the northern tip of Nabq Bay, dive centres in Hadaba may not offer the pick-up service, as it's quite a stretch.

Though I've never stayed at the Sensatori, I seem to remember reading that they offer quick in-and-out one-tank trips to Tiran by zodiac in the morning. Other dive shops may have similar arrangements (perhaps at Four Seasons?). Just be aware that these may be offered on demand and if numbers are low, not available at all. Do be aware that most boat diving involves a full-day trip and 2-3 dives.

If this is the property right in front of Tiran, then I've heard it's nice, but can't really offer any advice as I've never stayed. But see my comment above about 1-tank zodiac dives to Tiran.

I hope this helps.

We have been using the Grand Rotana. Its a very nice hotel. Scorpion divers there on the beach has a decent house reef. They also book boat dives, but I am not sure if they come to their facility or not.

We prefer hotels in the Sharks Bay area that have shore diving as well. Once we stayed at Naama Bay and could not just go into the water from the hotel.

If you go to Dahab, many dives are shore dives. I'm not sure if there are true 5 star hotels in Dahab. If you mean 5 star such as the Conrad or Walcott Astoria, certainly not. But there are hotels who rank as 5 star, I think. Dahab is only an hour from Sharm. I'm sure if you only want to dive once you could. Some dives you can walk right from the shop.

TUI used to have a dive operation called Ocean College with a strong following from the UK. Not sure if they still exist, but most of the expat staff is long gone after COVID. They operated out of Sensatori when we were there in 2018 and 2019. The house reef was decent, but it really came alive at night. They have a dive equipment shack and a floating pier about 125 m long if I recall correctly. The rooms looked nice and well kept. We didn’t eat there, so not sure about the food. It is a bit of a drive from the day dive boats, they leave from the main harbor for the most part.

October was a comfortable time of year, not crazy hot and not cold either. Not sure about the best time for various marine life, that may be better in different seasons for different species.

One place that I continuously heard recommended as a hotel is the Renaissance. Close to the harbor and a good reputation.

Not sure which hotel has Temple dive site as a house reef, but that is one of my favorite sites near shore in Sharm. Two pinnacles in the shallow area with tons of macro subjects, a descending slope with lots of transient life, and a glass fish cave around 100 feet.

One caution: some of the local operators do “tea bagging” boat trips, where they gear up tourists for something along the lines of an abbreviated discover scuba experience. The dive guide holds the student (or sometimes students) by their tank valve and swims them around for about five minutes. Kind of wild to watch.

Have a great trip, and let us know the latest info once you’re back.

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom