Sharm El-Sheikh F.A.Q.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they say not to fly to Sharm, how do they recommend to get there?

I would think they are referring to direct flights to Sharm from outside of Egypt.

There are more flights to Cairo but it's a PITA transferring through Cairo airport to get a connecting flight to Sharm. One can also take the bus, but I personally don't recommend that option.

Hi all, I am heading to sharm this week and hoping to find a reliable driver or taxi/transfer service to get around without having to haggle as I am traveling solo - any recommendations?

Folks, am going back to Sharm after 22 years. In August, for my sins.

Anyone have any suggestion for a dive operator that uses smaller boats/has smaller groups? Bonus if they also have a resort that is NOT a soulless generic hotel.

TIA!

Anyone have any suggestion for a dive operator that uses smaller boats/has smaller groups? Bonus if they also have a resort that is NOT a soulless generic hotel.

TIA!
If you haven't been back in 22 years, you won't recognize the place. New airport, all new roads. And hundreds of soulless generic hotels. It's absolutely overrun by tourists these days. The Egyptian government have built up the place as their major conference hosting center. They had a climate change summit there last November with 10s of thousands of visitors, including multiple heads of state.

That said, I've been out with Sinai Dive Club (based at the DoubleTree/Hilton) several times recently and have had good experiences. Sharm Diving Center

TIA!

Poor of you....

I did this 15 year ago, it wasn't a nice change.... the time when you were taking a drink around a brasero on the beach at night, nearby the Hilton, well... it's gone.

Now it's overcrowded and the resorts are spread everywhere....

Any Sharm El-Sheikh recommand?
I wanna go in this summer

Any Sharm El-Sheikh recommand?
I wanna go in this summer
Recommend you learn to read Cyrillic. Having been there a few months ago for the first time since 2015, the preponderance of Russians was the biggest change I noticed. Not that there weren't always a good number of them back in the day, but a fair few shops now have signs in Russian rather than English. (Not the end of the world, obviously, just an observation.) Luckily the diving is as good as ever, if not better, and I can still heartily recommend Emperor Divers who are based just a short walk from the marina in Naama Bay.

The transits through the airport were a relative pleasure too, although the 2015 experience wasn't a particularly high bar to get over.

My last trip to Sharm was Dec 22, I stayed at and dived with Camel Dive Club. Its an all in one - hotel restaurants, Bar (certainly used the be THE divers bar in town) and Dive centre, with onsite training pool They run a number of day boats, which were very clean, well crewed, and with great guides/instructors. Also do day trips to Dahab (Canyon and Blue Hole etc), as well as trips to dive the Thistlegorm (it's an early start), as well as night dives locally which are shore dives. Boats tend to be split by experience, so you'll always be with divers of a similar skillset, cert level etc. Camel are based in Naama Bay. The divers tended to be European, a pretty even mix of British, Dutch, Germany, Italian etc, I don't think we had any Russians whilst I was there. Naama Bay itself was pretty quiet at the time.​
We had a great time there, its for divers by divers, rather than a generic bland hotel. Every evening after the boats get back in everyone congregates in the courtyard for happy hour beers and to recount tales from the day.​
I usually find Sharm airport a little more chaotic than Hurghada Airport.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom