Sharm El-Sheikh F.A.Q.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I've been reading the thread with interest, maybe you can advise me:

1. Diving 4-10 Nov (7 days):
Is a 3mm suit okay?

2. What dive Centre shall I use? I will be located in Na'am Bay - Marriott.

3. Has anyone had experience with Red Sea Diving College?
They look very large... I particularly like their 1/2 day double tank morning dives - back an Noon.

4. What itinerary should I develop? Best dive sites?
Thinking of: Straits of Tiran - Jackson Reef; Ras Mohammed Pk: Jackfish Alley; Shark & Yorlanda Reefs; Sha'ab Ali - Thistlegorm. What do you think?
How difficult are the above dive sites? I will only have 50 dives under my belt.

Any advice on dive sites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

It depends on how you feel cold. Normally I'd suggest a 5mm suit in November.

On the first day any reputable operator will take you to local dive sites to check everything is fine. After that I recommend Tiran, particularly Jackson and Thomas, and Ras Mohamed (anywhere). Don't miss the Thistlegorm is you're into wreck diving.

50 dives are fine for these dive sites.

Asser, thanks for your insight. Can you or any others recommend any dive operators? My concern is that Red Sea Dive College seem to go to Thistlegorm on Thursdays, which makes it difficult for me. Also, should I try to squeeze Dahab: caverns/blue hole into the itinerary? Is 50 dives sufficient for caverns/blue hole?

On a day trip to Dahab you will usually visit two dive sites: Bells to Blue hole (a swim along the fringe reef) and Canyon. This is followed by a longish lunch break to offgas before you cross the mountains to get back to Sharm.

The Blue hole itself isn't very interesting as a dive unless you intend to dive the Arch at 60 meters, which no reputable operator will allow.

Blue_hole.jpg

We are looking for options for Spring 2011. We have never done a liveaboard and want to give it a try.

Emporer Divers out of Hurghada looks like a nice operation and the flights from Cairo are not too bad.

Can anyone recommend another liveaboard operation? Is there advantage to starting Sharm El-Sheikh?

Thanks

that is a good question. We have both logged >200 dives. We like variety and dont mind adversity. We have been through many wrecks, rough seas and VERY strong currents. Swim thoughs are WAY fun.

Not sure if that is an answer... let me know if yo uneed more to go on.

Thanks

Sailing out of Sharm El Sheikh, most probably you'll do Tiran (steep walls with currents), Ras Mohamed (steep walls, coral gardens, wrecks and currents) and Thistlegorm (one of the most famous wrecks in the world). You might also cross to Abu Nuhas for more wreck diving. Is that good enough? :)

Some other itineraries out of Sharm include the Gulf of Aqaba (Tiran, Nabq, Dahab, Abu Galoum and Taba/Nuweiba) and the Gulf of Suez (mainly wrecks). Also sometimes we go from Sharm to the southern Egyptian Red Sea.

After reviewing the schedule, the departure city is deturmeined by dive schedule and maybe time of year. I will look closer to see what schedule will fitour desires best.

That call them:
Simply the best
Famous five
Just brothers
reefs and wrecks
south and st johns

Any of those mean anything to you or stand out as better/best over the rest?

Thanks

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom