sharks teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may get up there for an early morning bubbling... my wife's flight back from her visit to friends isnt due in till 11.15, so I could slip in a few AM dives and drive back :wink:

BTW, Kris did find a plant this weekend and we talked to the guy who does it... very interesting fellow.

Until November. After October, you'll most likely find me there every other Sunday until Spring, unless I've got other dives somewhere else. I'd like to h00k up with some of you guys then. I'll post on the weeks I'm going.

Have a great time, just leave me a couple of teeth to find until I can get down there.

-=V=-

CBulla once bubbled...
BTW, Kris did find a plant this weekend and we talked to the guy who does it... very interesting fellow.
Huh? People PLANT megalodon teeth there? Are they broken ones or something?

2 hour bottom times isn't a joke - smashed my old record of 65 minutes on a single tank :D

There's lots of sting ray teeth plates and spines there as well, as well as some tumbled bones, probably dugong (manatee ancestor). I also found a fossil that looks like a grinding tooth of some sort which I haven't been able to identify - not even sure if it's a fish/shark tooth. About an inch wide, my camera's macro shots suck though so I can't post a pic.

Father-in-law found a 2" meg there earlier this year.

I have a 6" Megalodon tooth stiting on my TV. I also have MANY 1" 4" teeth (shark) and Mastodon teeth, Stingray crusher plates, etc....plus some unidentified fossils....

All found in tough conditions in the Cooper River, SC. There are many dive ops there.

Contact me if you want to know about the conditions. They are damn tough.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Huh? People PLANT megalodon teeth there? Are they broken ones or something?

Yupper.. the guy who does is a memever of a local fossil club and he casts one sided fakies from teeth he's found there. The one my wife found is about 4" across the root, 5" tall overall.. I think she blew 500# of air out of excitement until she grabbed it and realized it was flat on the back and had a number on it. He's placed over 2000 of the buggers out there for people...something to help keep them looking for the real ones. I think its kind of cool that he's going to those lengths to help spur some interest. :)

I really don't like the guys who plant the fakes. I really enjoy hunting for the big ones, and I think if I find a fake, I'd get really pissed. Scubaroo, they're plaster, and some of them are even painted. I know a couple of people who have found them, and that's why I was initially suspicious when I found mine. As Cbulla said, they're easy to tell once you pick them up and turn them over.

DeepSeaWolf, the vis can range greatly, I've been there when there's all of 4" (yup, inches), and when there's been 20'. If you get there early, the vis tends to be better, usually I get out of the water around 11:30 -12:00, and there's already been a noticable drop in the vis. Typically, there's only 1-2' seas with little surge on the bottom, and I've never seen a very strong current, usually just enough to assist you in covering the area (call it 1/4 knot).

CBulla, Sunday is looking better for me, the sinuses are clearing, and I don't think they'll be a prob for the weekend (still taking sudafed at this point, though).

We'll have to see how work plays out... if the project manages to go smooth and is done saturday, I'll be at the Alhambra site bright and squirly around sunrise... just have to be back in Ft Myers to pick up my wife from the air port at 11ish. :)

I've recently moved to Tampa and would like to start diving in the area. I'd be interested in getting together with others for a Venice beach dive for sharks teeth this weekend. I haven't gone diving in over a year but have done some fossil diving in the past. Anybody interested?

Brian

I'll be at the alhambra site at 9:30 on Sunday with at least one other person, more likely two.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom