Sharks in the Gulf of Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I watched the special about the two shark attacks that happened in Florida. The said the most common sharks that are that aggressive in the Gulf of Mexico were the Great White, Bull Shark and Tiger Shark.

I know I've heard of the Bull and Tiger being there but, a Great White Shark? Is this true? Anyone ever seen one there? If so, I wanna see one!!!! Cost a heck of a lot less than going to Aussie Land to see one. :wink:

Michael

White Sharks have a world wide distribution. I've never personally seen one, but they are caught in the Gulf from time to time as well as the Bahamas, Keys, off Cuba..............

They occur off all FL coasts, though rarely in the panhandle. They have been seen out in the Middle Grounds, which are about 80 miles out.

I think they're seen more often down off the key & up the east coast, but the can roam anywhere.

They prefer colder water, so finding them in the gulf is pretty hit or miss. Not a reliable place to plan a trip with the intent of seeing one.

Wayward Son:
They occur off all FL coasts, though rarely in the panhandle. They have been seen out in the Middle Grounds, which are about 80 miles out.

I think they're seen more often down off the key & up the east coast, but the can roam anywhere.

They prefer colder water, so finding them in the gulf is pretty hit or miss. Not a reliable place to plan a trip with the intent of seeing one.

WayWard Son I might not be recalling correctly but didn’t SpearMax and a few other say something about seeing a large one about a month or so down off St Pete and Tampa. If I recall right one of them stated it was as large as their small boat

mwhities:
I know I've heard of the Bull and Tiger being there but, a Great White Shark? Is this true? Anyone ever seen one there? If so, I wanna see one!!!! Cost a heck of a lot less than going to Aussie Land to see one. :wink:
Michael
So does either of these trips:

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/

Wayward Son:

I don’t think people realize just how many species of sharks we have in our Gulf. If I would have came across that shark at dept I would have pulled the Reg from my mouth to kiss my @ss good by. I’m leery of crossing the Lemon or Mako But a great white of that size. Just picture a octopus ink stain in the water by mine would have been brown

That Tony is nuts he will look for it again just to count his teeth knowing him

We saw sharks on most every dive this past Fri. and Sat. You just have to keep your cool and not panic. I do love seeing them.

algulfdiver:
We saw sharks on most every dive this past Fri. and Sat. You just have to keep your cool and not panic. I do love seeing them.

I came across one Sat. looking for an easy meal. I have never seen a shark that could move so fast. I kept cool aright a stringer with fish and a unloaded gun with a dive partner high tailing it for higher ground But I kept my fish:D Is it breeding season or something? Old Terry will never believe us two again after we told him during the cleanup we seldom see them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom