Sharks in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i'm looking for some recommendations for dive operators to go see tiger, bull, or ragged tooth sharks in south africa

Hi

Here is a response I recieved from one of our local operators when I asked a similar question:

"Hi Andrew,

Good to hear from you! Although of course conditions can be up and down all year I have to say October in Natal is more down than up I'm afraid. You're at the tail end of raggie season but we do start to get schooling hammerheads late October to November - they can of course be pretty elusive but you might strike it lucky. It's also a pretty poor time for tigers - not that you won't get them you'll have to try a lot harder. There should be good blacktips and duskys on the baited dives though. If I were you I'd try to come up before you leave in August. Tiger season has started now for us - we've had tigers (upto 3) on 6 out of 8 baited dives this month. The other 2 we got Zambezi sharks (11 together on one and 4 yesterday). To my mind May June July are the best months up here - on the transition between summer and winter sharks - the chance of sardine activity (although small it seems these days) and of course the humpback whale migration. For tigers and Zambezi I'd have to say April / May is the best time. For baited dives in Aliwal I'd reccomment African Watersports and for protea here you've only got African Dive Adventures. If I'm around I can help you myself with transfers otherwise you're cheapest option is car rental at around R250 per day.

If you want me to put a package together for you I should be able to get you some good rates.

Hope this helps

Graeme

OCEANS AFRICA DIVING ADVENTURES cc 2002/056241/23
Mob: +27 (0)73 178 5462
E - mail : info@oceansafrica.com

Hope this is of some assistance

The Protea Banks are great for the big ones, can't get better shark diving. Just keep in mind the depth varies from +-26m to 40m. Aliwal again is great for baited Tiger's and you'll find quite a few cheeky Blacktips around. Raggie season is coming up in July at Aliwal and if you're really lucky you'll spot a lost Great White as we had over Easter Weekend 2008.

Enjoy..

Corné :: Oceans Alive Diving - Aliwal Shoal, South Africa ::

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom