Sharks in DUXBURY, Ma? Christopher de Roetth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
check out the sharktivity app. We saw 30 seals at the mouth of DUXBURY bay. Only a matter of time before the great whites recently sighted just outside start coming in. ???

Christopher de Roetth DUXBURY, MA

Where there are seals there will be GWs. On youtube there is a video of a large GW in a salt pond on the Cape. IMO the GWs have already been in Duxbury Bay just haven't been seen, yet. I have the same opinion of Narragansett Bay. Saving the seals has consequences. Provide GWs with their food and they will come. Personally I was fine with having to traveling to dive with seals.

Sharks are an occupational hazard of diving ...

enjoy their company

sdm

Diving isn't my occupation.
As long as I'm not invited to lunch. Especially on those 15 min 200yd surface swims.
Since 1968 I've seen one blue shark in NE waters. When I get a hankering for diving with sharks NC's sand tigers work from me.

I suppose the day will come when the GWs have reduced the seal population on the Cape to where it can't support the 300+ GWs that have been counted there so far this summer. That's a lot of hungry GWs that are big enough to eat seals. Aren't GWs endangered, what the heck? Seems boogie boarders maybe be more endangered.

Hombre
Its all part of the sport ...
I have had more than a few close encounters the unpleasant kind
SDM

I get that Sam but what's going on off the Cape is crazy! Three hundred counted GWs. How many uncounted?

Do hikers long to encounter Grizzly bears on their hikes? Do snowshoers hope to meet Polar bears on their walks?
Why do I want to encounter a GW or more than one while I'm diving?

Humans caused an imbalance by killing most of the seals. Our attempt to fix it has caused another imbalance in the other direction, an over population of seals, resulting in another imbalance of GWs. When the seal herds reached the pre-hunting numbers culling should have been started. Now the GWs are culling the seal population until they are reduced by GWs or the lack of food for the seals by seal overfishing. Like the sea lions are doing to the Salmon in your end of the country.

I get that Sam but what's going on off the Cape is crazy! Three hundred counted GWs. How many uncounted?

Are you sure it's 300 GWs, not 300 sightings? 300 GWs would be way too many, and I don't think that shark conservation boats can tag them all.

I'm surprised there haven't been any attacks this summer, it's mid-August already...

Do hikers long to encounter Grizzly bears on their hikes? Do snowshoers hope to meet Polar bears on their walks?

As a matter of fact I did encounter a black bear during my run in a local state park as recently as yesterday. Even that I would rather avoid.

Are you sure it's 300 GWs, not 300 sightings? 300 GWs would be way too many, and I don't think that shark conservation boats can tag them all.

I'm surprised there haven't been any attacks this summer, it's mid-August already...

As a matter of fact I did encounter a black bear during my run in a local state park as recently as yesterday. Even that I would rather avoid.

Hey wait a minute, a black bear ain't a Grizzly. I've got black bears in my neighbor, they are more like the sand tiger sharks of NC than GWs and I'm not concerned about meeting one unless it has a cub. They are berry and garbage eaters. That's why I used Grizzly and Polar bears not just bears in general. Please, don't attempt to diminish the analogy.

Here's where I got the number 300 from: Cape Cod's New Normal: Sharks Are Everywhere Here is the verbage :

Sharks are now drawn to the abundant prey, and a Massachusetts state researcher who tags great whites said he had his busiest July. Overall, researchers have identified at least 300 of the apex predators prowling local waters, he said.

I read that as 300 sharks. I'm willing to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom