sharks ... how to react?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove that Bridge-span a bunch of times. See sharks there a lot. Most are sand....but you never know.

I went out on a dive boat last weekend for two dives, one of which was going to be a wreck, the other was a shark dive. Here is what I saw.....

It wanted nothing to do with us and was definitely a great experience.

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 117
Noreast - GREAT pic!

I went out on a dive boat last weekend for two dives, one of which was going to be a wreck, the other was a shark dive. Here is what I saw.....

It wanted nothing to do with us and was definitely a great experience.

great photo...

The two we saw were light grey with white underside. They were fatter in the middle than your shark photo. Gosh I wish I had had my camera.

Here is a informative link from DAN about sharks and diving with them:

Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles

Here is a link to a website for shark pics, this may help you try to figure out what species you saw.

Shark Pictures - images of sharks and rays including pictures of great white sharks.

I think it is the way of shark diving, you want to see a shark, leave your camera at home! :wink:
Glad you had an awesome experience. They are amazing creatures.

Carolyn:shark2:

The best way to respond to a shark sighting is with awe.

The thing to remember is that if a shark does decide to eat you, it most likely will, and there's really not much you can do about it. This is, however, ridiculously unlikely. Someone recently did some research and was only able to find 8 (if memory serves) divers attacked by sharks since something like 1959. And they were virtually all in shallow water and/or carrying shark food.

That being said, these are things I've heard and that make at least some sense.
1 - Most shark attacks are from below. So, if possible, get right down on the bottom while you're watching these magnificent beasts.
2 - Sharks (and other sea life) do not like bubbles. Blow some bubbles from your octo at them.
3 - If a shark gets close, you can use it's nose to push it away.
4 - A sharks gills are extremely sensitive and vulnerable. Grabbing them is supposed to be an effective way of telling a shark that you too are an apex predator. Frankly, this makes some sense, but seems like it would be difficult to actually do.

But, again, you're extremely unlikely to ever encounter a shark that is anything other than curious.

This video shows a very curious nurse shark, as well as a slightly-less-curious gray reef shark.

Awesome video. I love how well the camera picked up the sound of you laughing. Happily, I know how that feels. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom