Sharks Cove Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat:
Well,
I thought I would share a dive that I did with Militant Medic and gjm.

Nice touch with the Mission Impossible music. :wink:

So, was the entrance the "elevator" that I've heard about? Not that I'd try it - I have a strict rule about humping gear over rocky terrain - I'd probably face plant and it wouldn't be pretty. :shakehead

That dive sure doesn't look like any dive I've ever done at Shark's Cove - where are all those caverns at?

No, the elevator is a little beyond that. gjm showed us that entrance, it's strait out from the east end of the parking lot. We did the entrance and made a right turn.

Nice touch with the Mission Impossible music.:wink:
You should hear my ring tone for my dive buddies.:D

Great video. Tips for the cameraman.

Yes, Onfloat is correct. The "Elevator" is located on the shelf off to the right of the very first few seconds of the video (there's a brief pan showing a sand patch with crawling greenery off to the right; the spot is a drainage pond; there're are some rough cement footpads up the sharp limestone onto the shelf; they're "sucker" pads, don't walk on 'em but off to the side a bit for more traction). The Elevator is a fairly large vertical hole, maybe 15ft deep. It has two outlets to the sea. The uppermost runs straight just under the shelf and runs to another smaller seaward hole before finally exiting into clear water. It's about a 10yd swim; I've breathhold swum through it but only when there was absolutely no surge. At the very bottom of the Elevator is a second tunnel which exits into an in-cut area next to the boulder field. This tunnel is a moderately tight squeeze and definitely should not be tried in any kind of surge; if the Elevator is spitting, don't even think of trying. It silts up fairly easily and so pulling hand-over-hand is the best technique. Be weighted enough to stay low. It's better to have at least three divers; one should always be in the clear, watching the others. Make absolutely sure that all your gear is snugged down, especially your tank; nothing dangling; you should stow your snorkel. The swim is basically irreversible because there's no room to turnaround and there's a good chance of your tank hanging up if you back-peddle; it may be possible to unstick your tank with a "humping" motion but ditching our rigs was in our playbook. It looks easy but is quite dangerous; a very confined overhead environment with low viz. I've done it only twice in 30 years and except as a stunt, it really wasn't worth it. The passage is so tight that there's no chance to really see anything; you can't really raise your head very much except to see forward; spinning is a no-go; it's pretty much just bald rocks; it may've been infested with lobsters long ago but no more. People have died in there; the worse was a triple drowning of Marines a number of years back.

The tunnel in the first 1/3 of the video is fairly large and maybe a 30ft swim(?). My wife and I were once stunned to see a 10y.o. boy breathhold swimming through the crazy thing; then came sis' and then mom. There used to be a resident turtle at the exit.

The middle 1/3 of the video looks like the cavern at the far northern/eastern point. If it is, then far in back is a place we call the "Chimney". It's a body-length vertical blind shaft with smaller side shafts which usually has something interesting; e.g. Hawaiian lobster or harlequin shrimp. The cavern used to be choke full of lobsters, including slipper lobsters clinging to the overhead, but it's pretty much barren now.

And oh man, what kind of stinkin' luck is it to see the monk seal!? That was awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom