shark's cove in april, the elevator shaft, and a monk seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh... 'dove fire-house and three-tables yesterday too!

i think there are more/bigger caverns on that side =\

I'm jeleous of the Monk Seal siting. I've seen one over there on the shore. Wonder if it was the same one (I've heard that if you see one in a location near another, it usually is the same one).

Congratus on such an awesome experience.

wow! flat up North again this morning =)

firehouse is one of my new favorite dives...
big roomy caverns (larger still than at shark's cove) and more of 'em...

including what some buds dubbed "cathedrals" because of the multiple arches
and skylights with 15-20 feet of vertical maneuvering room =D
cathedral1.JPG

i almost felt like i should've been praying... maybe i did =|
cathedral2.JPG

viz is generally better too because the reef-line runs 100-200yds off-shore.

anyone up for a North Shore dive next time it's flat?

Nice... Me and the kid did a night dive at Sharks Cove last night, vis was a little shot though...

nice....can't wait for our North shore get together

you gotta luv it when SNN starts listing:

"... light offshore, diving , paddling and fishin'..."

in particular... the "diving" part =D
surfreport28.JPG

who's going North today?

after four months away.. and missing the whole summer diving season.. i had to try to sneak in some dives on the north shore. (tho' i know it isn't optimal up there anymore.. when it's flat up there.. i still have to go =)

viz was <10ft within' the cove and only got to 50ft at 50fsw =(
still a good dive.. headed out to the pinnacles heading 270° from the mouth of the cove.. saw a small school of huge trevally (2ft+) within' a swim-thru (with the low viz, 'thought they were small sharks at first, only saw their dark outlines initially =/ murky water scary =O

on another note.. when i shot the pics of the hawaiian stingray last spring.. i didn't realize the big ones like that were lethal =( when i took the close up of his eyes, the camera and my noggin' were only a couple feet from his face.. note to self: start using zoom lens.
sting2.JPG

Nice resurrected thread Blue, SC & TT are in my top 5 favorite cavern dives in Hawaii. My end of Summer vacation was to the North Shore.

One time a similar sized Hawiian Sting Ray swam by my Open Water students during our skill session at 20 ft inside SC (no pics / standards).

My work dive is Ulua in Wailea, 5-6 days per week. We see the hunting parties nearly every dive. Peacock Groupers are also in the mix. Any time I see any Grouper or Ulua (or both) hanging or circling the coral I know an eel will slither out eventually. This apears to be a symbiotic relationship where the fleeing prey from one of the predators ends up in the mouth the other. Molokini is another place to see this activity regularly. My pictures point toward possible long term bonds between specific individuals, and some Ulua will chase off other Ulua who try to join the group.

Cool pictures!

resurrection aside.. (maybe others can learn from my mistake, and not get too close to 'em.. as said.. use a zoom lens)

an eagle-ray stabbed another man in the chest yesterday..
cbs:
image2110051g.jpg

".. a leaping stingray stabbed an 81-year-old Florida boater in the chest, leaving its poisonous stinger lodged close to his heart in an incident recalling the one that killed the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, last month...
... about 25 miles north of Miami, James Bertakis was in a small recreational boat with two grandchildren yesterday when the spotted eagle ray leapt aboard and struck him.
...Bertakis is expected to make a full recovery after surgery at a local hospital to have the stinger removed from his chest.

i've seen rays jump out of the water near pearl harbor.. they can jump fairly high..
but the biggest eagle-ray i've swam with was at e-beach.. at least 6ft wide with a head as big as a basketball.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom