shark's cove in april, the elevator shaft, and a monk seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i just dove shark's cove!
woke up this morning and GQ posted near-flat on the North =D
'tho' viz was only 20-40ft =( we still saw a whole bunch =)

tons of large fish: 3' parrots, 2' blue-trevally, 20" titan scorpionfish [i measured with my fin], the biggest soldierfish i've seen [1'], and a school of about 1000 convict-tangs within the cove.

but the highlight was the full-size 7-foot hawaiian monk seal... all 400+lbs of him!
we were going thru a series of large lava-tubes, when this giant monk-seal drops down thru a sky-light =O woah! [brain processing data... shark/seal/shark/seal... seal! whew =] but then he saw us and pro'ly thought "i'm sorry, i didn't know anyone was in here"... and i tried in my best telepathy to say "it's okay, we're just leavin', you can hang-out in here"... but he turned non-chalantly and meandered away =/

('tho' i've seen monk-seals from shore, this was my first monk-seal underwater =)

VBlueV:
i just dove shark's cove!
woke up this morning and GQ posted near-flat on the North =D
'tho' viz was only 20-40ft =( we still saw a whole bunch =)

tons of large fish: 3' parrots, 2' blue-trevally, 20" titan scorpionfish [i measured with my fin], the biggest soldierfish i've seen [1'], and a school of about 1000 convict-tangs within the cove.

but the highlight was the full-size 7-foot hawaiian monk seal... all 400+lbs of him!
we were going thru a series of large lava-tubes, when this giant monk-seal drops down thru a sky-light =O woah! [brain processing data... shark/seal/shark/seal... seal! whew =] but then he saw us and pro'ly thought "i'm sorry, i didn't know anyone was in here"... and i tried in my best telepathy to say "it's okay, we're just leavin', you can hang-out in here"... but he turned non-chalantly and meandered away =/

('tho' i've seen monk-seals from shore, this was my first monk-seal underwater =)
Awsome....
Maybe I'll keep my eyes open and try to do a night dive there this weekend!

sigh....I wanna see one in the water too! How lucky!! Pictures?

justleesa:
sigh....I wanna see one in the water too! How lucky!! Pictures?

no pics =/ tho' GQ posted nearly-flat, it wasn't supposed to be totally-flat... so, i didn't want to take any extra baggage so's i wouldn't have to choose whether to protect my camera or my noggin, if a rogue wave tried to roll me on the jaggies =(
... besides, i was too busy yelpin' like a 9irl =O to take a picture =P

break, break...
... let me know if you try that night-dive... i might be able to go.

with GQ's forecast... monday or tuesday might have better viz with 3-days-in-a-row of near-flat... me and jimbo are already plannin' to do a couple dives on tuesday morning (if conditions permit). everyone's invited to shark's =)

... define "mandatory" =P

jimbo's in the sea-lancers too... maybe after the show-n-tell wednesday, we can all arrange another shore dive... haleiwa-trench might be a player too [turtles and the discovery-channel, hmmm]

well, i was on the way to e-beach, but decided to look at the surf forecast one last time... cool, flat to the North! shark's cove, here i come again!

this time i was armed with my camera... good thing too, 'ran into a 4+foot wide hawaiian stingray at a depth of 55-feet =)

tip to tail 'had to be 7 feet long...
sting1.JPG

i was sooo close, 'looked like he had two eyeballs in each eyesocket =/
sting2.JPG

okay, maybe too close... after a dozen stills and 3 minutes of video...
he must got tired of me =( woah! watch out for that stinger!
sting4.JPG

oh, and here's the second titan scorpion i've seen in 2 days of diving here...
this one was only a foot-n-half... the one the other day was a bit bigger.
titanscorpion1.JPG

it's supposed to be flat in the North for the next few days... see y'all up there!

We drove up to the North Shore today....B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!

We stopped at a couple of beaches that still had warning signs up and people will still going in the water :classic: ....(No signs at SC though)

VBLUEV and I dove Sharks Monday, and although I think the surf was up a little, it was awsome to northshore it again, maybe next the Trench? eh Blue??????
Jimbo

justleesa:
We drove up to the North Shore today....B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!

We stopped at a couple of ^WINWARD beaches that still had warning signs up and people were still going in the water :classic: ....(No signs at SC though)

leesa... thanks for clarifying "signs" were for WINWARD-side =\ whew!
seems most North beaches are relatively "clean".

today, the NNW-swell held-off...
so we jumped into haleiwa-trench... typical trench-viz <20ft. tons-o-turtles tho'!
'even found a tcs with 5 turtles... and, they were actually being cleaned =)

well, 'needed more viz... so 'drove back to shark's-cove for the second tank.
'gettin' churned up again, but viz outside the cove was still good 40-50ft.
'heard whale-song the whole dive! and saw a couple huge spectacled-parrots.
i think i'm startin' to remember how to find all the lava-tubes... not =(
me <------ needs underwater gps

'saw a blue-trevally hangin' out with an eel... swimmin', circlin', bumpin'.
that's the second set i've seen this week. anyone know why?
bluefin-eel1.JPG

and, for the smart-ones... what's the common-name for this reddish nudibranch?
red-nudibranch.JPG

Back
Top Bottom