Sharks and metal detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was working a case for the last two days. One of the sites I searched was in the vicinity of Boca Grande pass, under and around a bridge. This time of year this area tends to get sharky, and I couldn't help but wonder about the metal detector I use. It's a JW Fischer pulse 8x, and every time it went off, I was wondering if I was ringing the dinnerbell or not.

Does anyone have any idea if metal detectors have any effect on sharks? Obviously, I used it yesterday without incident (about 3 hours underwater), but am curious.

I have never read a case where someone using a MD was attacked by a shark. With the electrical pulse it may attract or repel them but I cant find anything about an attack.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about this. I've been looking at several metal detector sites, and find some anecdotal evidence where sharks seem to be excited by metal detectors, with reports of users having to fend off a shark or get out of the water because of them.

The search isn't helped, though, because it seems that everyone who makes a metal detector names it after a freaking shark. I'd like to find something a little more definite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom