Sharks and bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you referring to an incident happened in Red Sea a few days ago? Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

The video is going around on social media at the moment. If you do look it up on Facebook, for instance, try to look for a guy call Dan White. He shot the video and added quite some background to what was happening prior to it. The video in the link above is shortened.

From what I read, the shark was relaxed initially, just inquisitive. When more divers started gravitating towards it, the shark got into defensive mode. The German diver who got attacked was sent back to land and attended by a German doctor later.

Carey a light with you next time you see a shark turn it on and shine it at him. they will usually flee.

I did that but because I was admiring him. Made that shark very curious about me. Too curious for my comfort!

As for the bubbles from venting my BCD, that worked quite well to chase off another overly curious shark. It wasn't intentional on my part, nonetheless, I was pleased with the result. Not going to rely on that tactic though.

This is a video of a sand tiger that cruised about a foot over my head. He/she took off when my bubbles hit him.
This is an amazing video..... That's so cool that shark got so close to you.

When I dove from Moorea, French Polynesia, the Lemon Sharks were immediately on us, followed us, and circled during our safety stop. They didn't seem fussed by the bubbles at all. I found out after the dive that some dive shops feed them so they did associate divers with food. My answer would be, depends on how the sharks have been conditioned.

The
The sand tigers in NC are very curious and will swim right up to you. These sharks are not used to be fed they are just curious. They usually veer off but I've had to duck before. At the beginning of the video linked below you can see one coming to check me out. Another comes to see what I am at the 2:55 and 5:40 marks in the video.

The

The sand tigers in NC are very curious and will swim right up to you. These sharks are not used to be fed they are just curious. They usually veer off but I've had to duck before. At the beginning of the video linked below you can see one coming to check me out. Another comes to see what I am at the 2:55 and 5:40 marks in the video.
I've not seen them in the wild as I don't believe they frequent the Gulf Coast of Florida, but I did dive with them in the Florida Aquarium.

Here's a Sandbar from a few months ago that wasn't really concerned with our bubbles...

I never tried it or seen a diver with a metal detector in the sharky area's here so i wouldn't know, it makes sense when you think about it, the pulses emitted from that thing can either drive them crazy and run away or attract them

I often use an underwater metal detector (Fisher Pulse 8X) in zero vis in some pretty sharky places and have for years. During the spring and summer, Boca Grande pass is loaded with bulls, hammers and tigers, but I've never had a problem even in that area, and I've spent hours underwater at a time using the Fisher.

I would like a better answer than "well, I haven't gotten bit yet", but have yet to find one.

Lemons don't seem to mind them I shared a breath with one. Watch around :13 seconds then at :15 seconds. You can see my exhaled bubbles come out of its gills. :)

I have been told that the exhaust bubbles from a diver frighten sharks. Is this true, or just another urban legend?

I've tried to sneak up on nurse sharks to video them but I'm pretty sure my bubbles alerted them and they swam off, even though they couldn't see me coming.

Lemons don't seem to mind them I shared a breath with one. Watch around :13 seconds then at :15 seconds. You can see my exhaled bubbles come out of its gills. :)

That's nucking futs! Who is the guy hanging on the bait baskets???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom